Wednesday 12 June 2013

Searching for Piskies......

Searching for Piskies on Dartmoor.
There are Piskies in our neighbourhood.  They are tiny little fairies known in other places as Pixies.  They have lived here on the moor for mules years, they were here before them humans and will be here long after they're gone.  Them Piskies are little people with a mischievous sense of humour and secretive ways.  Many moor folk have been led astray by the Piskies when they were being bad or rescued by the Piskies when they got lost in the notorious thick Dartmoor Fog.

Right near to Muleteer HQ is a notorious Piskie Haunt here on Dartmoor.  Human legends have it that when they used to put their ponies in to the walled enclosure (known as a Newtake locally) overnight to stop them straying they would be ridden by the Piskies. The local folk would find them sweaty and with saddle marks in the morning.  I reckon being ridden by a Piskie would be fun! I'm about the right size for a Piskie rider..... I'm off to see if I can find them!

Come on FH I've had my bath and need to dry off so let's go hiking.  All that fitness work we've been doing should mean that this Piskie Hunt is a piece of cake!

So up, up, up on to the moor, lots of climbing to be done, stop huffing and puffing FH, you've got no excuses as those legs of yours are much longer than mine....


OK here we are in the Newtake!  Trips on to the moor are not just for Dragon, Minis can manage hikes too!  Isn't it pretty?  That grass looks yummy..... oh whoops forgot we are on the trail of Piskies not snacking.


Those look like Piskie sized trees over there! They are stunted hawthorns that won't grow any bigger because of the wind on these exposed slopes, I wonder if that's why my little legs didn't grow much?





Let's follow this track!  Looks like it's going somewhere.  Mmmm must just stop for a little snack, this Piskie searching is hard work!


Interesting!  The Piskies have left us a clue!  Look at this row of stones!  Surely too big for you humans to lift but the Piskies with their super powers could have made this Stone Row.  I wonder what it means? Maybe it's a marker to tell me I'm close?  The suspense is making me...... hungry!


Must just have a little snack. FH I don't know why you bother with that watch thing.  Don't you know that here on the Moor there is only Piskie Time or Mule Time?  Always time for a snack!


That's right, time for snacking and sitting and dozing and looking at the view.  This Piskie Search is pretty fun isn't it?


OK energy reserves are replenished!  Time for some serious searching...

This looks suspiciously like a Piskie Hole!  Hello Piskies are you there?  I'm here to take you for a ride!


No one there..... maybe this looks a bit better? I'm sure this is a Piskie Hole!  Look.... that little entrance there looks very neat and tidy.  What's that FH?  The Piskies might not want to go for a ride today?  But why not?  I like Piskies and want them to come play.... maybe having a human with me is the problem, those Piskies are secretive....

OK Piskies I get the message... no rides today but I promise to come back soon!  If you want to find me I'm just down the road and always happy to take you for a ride.  Just one thing left to do before heading for home.  What moorland walk would be complete without a picnic?!

I'll keep searching for the Piskies.  One day I'll find them.  In the meantime I reckon what better reason than Piskie Searching to persuade FH to take me on some more moorland walks?



15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful area!
    I hope you find the fairies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found them yet Val but will keep searching, they've got to be here somewhere. I might have to try some midnight strolls when the humans aren't looking....

      Delete
  2. What fun! Specially the snacking part, hope when you find the Pixies you have fun with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snacking is extremely important, when your legs are short as mine it's imperative to keep your energy levels topped up as it's hard work. Still searching for those pixies.... they are hiding, I wonder if they're in the feed room??

      Delete
  3. Looks so beautiful! What a fun search for the Piskies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Allison, loving the Piskie search.... any excuse for a look at the view!

      Delete
  4. Suspense, a lovely scenery and plenty of snacks --now this is the perfect adventure my darling Mini. You are adorable in the lookout for Piskies. Perhaps they visit you at night, glittering and giggling, to ride a toboggan along your cross ... Do not give up, it is always worth a snack!.

    Those windswept hawthorns are a sight to behold. Beautiful landscape, rocks and legends --great pictures!.

    Congratulation on your bath time, Mini, you made it again bravely and gleam like a thousand stars. Did you do the victory mud roll upon return? ;-)

    Sweet dreams of Piskies ...








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Carmen, you are a mule mind reader extraordinaire! How did you know that I took great delight in rolling in the lovely mud as soon as I was home. I don't want to be too clean or else FH won't need to brush me and I do so love brushing ;-)

      I am still searching for those Piskies... I have told FH that we need to go further afield for Piskie searching, she says we need to work up to the fitness levels, personally I'm good to go but think she needs training!

      When I find those PIskies I'll let you know, I'm sure they'll be pleased with my offer of a ride!

      Neighbrays xxxx

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, I knew, my darling! :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. So much fun to be had, the fact that we couldn't find those Piskies just means it's an excuse for more searching (and snacking!)

      Delete
  6. Glad I'm not the only one to take my four legged friend on snacking walks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snacking walks are the best! People are a little bemused when they meet us but hey in our world it seems normal?! Glad to know we're in good company :)

      Delete
  7. Loved the Piskies story and search! Wonderful photos and thanks for the delightful tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, we're so glad to have you along! We will continue our search, who knows where to next? Hopefully more snacking on the way....

      Delete