Saturday 15 June 2013

Mule Power: Learning to Log

Mule Power!
If you wanna job doing right.... you gotta get a mule to do it!  

I have been enthusiastically watching MH this week chopping down some old branches and trees that have gotten a little out of control. I neighbrayed and encouraged him especially when he reached my favourite tree, the ash (yummy).    I was delighted when I saw this huge pile of branches all with green leaves and shiny bark, just ready for the tasting.

MH was a bit slow at dragging the bits up to the paddock though.... it involved a hike up the road which has an incline and he said he was too tired to bring me the spoils of his tree surgery....  

Hey MH!  No worries I said. I'm a mule and I like nothing better than to work.  I'll drag those branches up to the paddock for some tasty dining.  

OK so I know I've never pulled anything before and it takes a lot of practice to make equines happy to pull stuff safely.... but then this is me.....  

Oh and yes we haven't got the right kit.... that's what you think!  Remember that old military mule collar with chains attached that FH has from the war? That'll do the job.  Just think the last time it was used it might have been one of my long eared friends pulling a gun, at least this is a better use for it.  

Yeah yeah so ok we need to practice a bit with the swingle tree and you need to make sure I'm not gonna run away and think I'm getting chased, ok so we should be using blinkers as those things 'trick' me in to thinking there's nothing behind me.... but really?  I am a mule you know... and not just any mule.... I am super mule Dragon who is scared of nothing and reporting for duty to drag those logs.

So we'll practice a little first (give me 15 minutes and I've got the idea) .... come on MH get those arms working... I can drag you and the log up the lane if you like?  This is a piece of cake!  FH is at my head, we're just doing this off my halter, she's dressed me up with my bit and bridle so I know I'm 'working' but is leading me from the rope, I'm such a calm muletta aren't I?


Come on MH, let's get some logs attached and drag those branches up here ready for dinner time.  Do you think I look the part as a logging mule?  I know I'm not one of those big draft mules but I can move branches that are hard work for you.  I know some of my human followers won't believe this but I really do love this stuff.  If I have a job I am so very happy, you see us mules love to be useful and I get soooo much praise when I work that my ears nearly touch in the middle with pride.  

That's more like it!  Let's drag this up the lane.  It's nice to be able to play with MH for a change.  He is very keen on this logging thing and reckons that he and I can have lots of fun doing this, he is also wondering if I might provide some mule power for him on wheels?  Who needs horse power of the wheeled variety when you got mule power? He looks pretty pleased with me, I could get used to this adulation!

Logging mule extraordinaire!

There is only one limitation to this logging thing.... your human's have gotta work too and well... they're not as quick as us mules so there is some waiting around to be done, oh well guess we're not all mules.... I put on my most patient ears while MH messed around with ropes and chains.  FH says I was the most patient muletta ever, she reckons I know when I'm 'working' - of course I do!  I'm a mule!




Well that was soooo much fun, I'm excited as there is talk of more logging and more dragging and maybe a new harness.... and more mule powered fun!  Yippeee I love this work thing....

Especially when I reap the rewards - ash tree for dinner!


Can't wait for my next mule powered adventure!  A happy mule is a mule with a purpose!




31 comments:

  1. Well done! Most of our mules will pull something too but we usually just dally a rope around the saddle horn.
    We don't have any pretty harnesses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun. Mules always make me reset my rulebook for how long things should take to train for or what they'll enjoy doing. After working with horses for many, many years Dragon never fails to keep me on my toes and amaze me with her intelligence and willingness, gotta love those long ears!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! Really impressed. Ash is a favourite with all equines I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em! She loved every minute and now I can't wait to see what else we can do this summer. She simply adores the ash tree, leaves, bark and woody bits all devoured with glee. She even left the fresh grass this morning for the branch over the fence, funny girl :)

      Delete
  3. Ah, my dear Mula Trabajadora (working). Intelligence, stamina and patience are the golden attributes you have to perform a perfect logging job. Being this your first time, I am very proud of your courage in not believing that you are being chased by a rolling monster!. I love the happiness together. That patient glance of yours waiting for MH is adorable!. The reward, delectable!. It was very coquettish of you to wear those bright colours on your shoulders, Muletta Hermosa! (beautiful).

    Mi querida Callie: to celebrate your recent graduation in Spanish, I compiled the album "Crossing the Andes on Muleback". There are videos and photos on the recreation of the historical crossing. There is even something for MH ;-) So, gather your family around to celebrate la Mula Trabajadora, Exploradora y Valiente (valiant). Mule power brought liberty to South America --salud!.

    See the link below, hope you like it!.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/117913096516775294902/CruceDeLosAndesAMula?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNbf77bu5_mlkgE&feat=directlink

    Con amor (with love),
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my dear, dear friend Carmen! How wonderful to see this album, a true gift! I marvelled at the wonderful ears and shared gasps of delight with my humans looking at that amazing scenery. What wonderful views and such camaraderie and respect between mules and their humans, to ride in such landscapes would be spectacular. Your homeland is a wonderful country! I am honoured that you share this with me and of course I am so pleased to know where my school name came from, the town looks like a little piece of paradise :)

      You have inspired mule and humans alike..... I can hear MH putting on his running shoes and talking about training.... wonder what the airfare would be for a mule?!

      Sending you grateful whinnybrays! Have a wonderful weekend xxx

      Delete
    2. Glad you all liked it, dear Callie. It is such an emotive journey with great respect towards la Mula Amiga. Sunny kisses to you and your family.

      Delete
  4. Excellent work Dragon, you are obviously a natural. Glad you have shown MH how the job is done:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! Gotta teach these boys how to get a job done properly :)

      Delete
  5. OH Dragon ...so proud of you we are! Great job hoofin it with helping the Mr...and look at the rewards you reaped.
    Nickers and neighs from Honey Bee and Tink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Misses Honey Bee and Tink! I loved hoofin stuff around, I had sooo much fun, those humans needed rescuing! Do you know what though Roller just stood by and thought I was mad, he reckons his only job in life is to look good, weird?!

      Delete
  6. Wow well done Dragon. Such a versatile wee girlie you are. Mind you being motivated by ash to nibble at the end always helps I find.

    Came across this and thought you might like it.....a mule doing dressage. http://barnmice.com/video/who-needs-an-upper-level-warmblood-when-you-can-have-a-mule

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! I love to work... the possibilities are endless, next I'm hoping for a wee cart, just imagine how much salad I could bring home in that ;-)

      Loving the mule dressage, I showed it to FH, she laughed and said I got a canter like a wind up toy but we could do walk trot tests.... hmmm maybe the next challenge?!

      Delete
  7. Just wanted to let you know that your site is great. I have read all the 2013 posts and is currently working on 2012.

    Keep up the good work :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and Welcome to our humble site, we're so pleased you're enjoying catching up on our posts. We hope to convince people that life with mules and minis is divine and that they can be useful, fun and great companions. The Muleteers love to hear from their readers so please do stop by and keep up to date with them :-)

      Hope to see you back soon - neighbrays, whinnies and miaows!

      Delete
    2. You are on my favorites list already so I check your site every day.:-) I am the happy housekeeper/litterbox emptier/food machine/head scratcher and general love dispenser to six indoor rescue cats but I have a definite weakness for long ears. LOL

      Delete
    3. Great to hear that you stop by regularly! The gang love to hear from their fans :) Sounds like you have your hands full with those kitty cats, being personal assistant to furry friends sure keeps us humans busy... There's something about long ears, they are patient, wise and definitely have a sense of humour!!

      Delete
    4. BTW. My husband asked how tall Dragon is? I think I read somewhere that she is about 14 hh?

      And, he loves the pictures of the "crazy cat" going for a walk with the minis and Dragon. He's really the cat lover...but don't tell our cats (hihi).

      Delete
    5. Glad that your husband enjoys the muleteers too, Diesel the cat is the Queen of her kingdom and loves going out with the mini for his walks. Watch out for her post soon.... she has been up to antics!

      Dragon is 14hh so a pony mule, small compared to most riding horses in the UK but brilliant to get on off the ground, the perfect size for our petite setup and a huge personality!

      Delete
  8. Wow, pressed Publish to quickly...horrible grammar :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't mind about grammar round these parts, the mules are not known for theirs, their hooves slip frequently :-)

      Delete
  9. Oooh, ooooh, I know how to do that. Mom doesn't but, I do! I did it lots of things like that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh Camryn you gots to persuade your Mom to do this with you, we'd loooove to see! Maybe when you gets your new house?!

      Delete
  10. Oh, well done! You know, I was just eyeballing Emma this afternoon, thinking it's time to start looking for some harness:) I hope she does as well as the lovely Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DD :-) So proud of our Dragon, she is a star! Emma would be fab for driving and when Ramsey's old enough you could have pairs, that would be brilliant! Donkeys are normally so easy to do this stuff with, they were born with brains and common sense, look forward to hearing how you get on.

      Delete
  11. Major says he is impressed but thinks it is too much like hard work for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roller says he completely agrees with Major.... ponies are the sensible ones, leave those mules to the hard work ;-)

      Delete
  12. HA HA SUPER BRILLIANT LOVING IT great shot of MH's grins at the back.... I just know Dragon will be making demands to do all of that again...LOL great stuff xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's such a superstar! She will most certainly be demanding to do it all again, she had the best time :) We have more plans for the coming months, she's gonna be a busy muletta.... I do think I may have lost my mule to MH..... hmmmm.... those two have got mule power plans all of their own. Whinnybrays to The Wilford Caln and Indybug xx

      Delete
  13. Wicked, your a super cool mule taking it all in your stride and yummy leaves to eat at the end too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyril, I loves to work it's brilliant! Keep your hooves crossed for more fun for me :)

      Delete