Saturday 17 August 2013

Striking a Deal With The Dragon Mule

Part angel, part devil, a Dragon that breathes fire and blows kisses in equal measures.... these are all good descriptions of a certain beautiful mule that I have finally struck a deal with.

I hope you don't mind me taking over the Muleteers blog for a little while to talk to you about Dragon.  I think she deserves a little explanation all of her very own for this is one complex lady!  First of all let me deal with the name.... Dragon's name to most of the world is Callie.  Callie is the name we use in company and for anything official, I think if people heard me call her Dragon without understanding that this is a term of endearment they might think wrong of her (and me!).  But Dragon is the name we use ourselves, it suits this unique individual who is capable of being a fire breathing, snorting beast as much as she is of blowing kisses to the minis and displaying 'emotional ears' when enjoying hugs and scratches.

Dragon joined us about 18 months ago from a home where she had begun her journey towards being a riding mule, she was only four so very much still a baby.  She was part way there but for me to be able to do what I wanted with her safely she needed some refinement.  We needed to find a way of being together and understanding each others messages!

When Dragon first arrived she was quite reserved, she didn't make noise, she'd tolerate us and would obviously rather be with the minis than with us humans.  She was certainly not convinced of the benefits of owning us, if it was up to her she would have been quite happy to never see us apart from when the food ran out.  I think we were a bit of an irritation!

Those first few weeks I took time to walk with her, spend time with her and just be around without any pressure to ride.  It kinda worked a bit although she was still tolerating.  The first ride was not quite what you would call refined, it was a bit like hang on, sit deep, point in the general direction and try not to annoy her too much.  Hmmmm, I wondered how this was going to work?

Grounded

I have ridden plenty of green and 'difficult' horses but with time I really learnt that riding mules, even young, green ones you need a different attitude.  You need to 'strike a deal' with them. It's no use telling them what to do because it's what you want to do, rather it's all about persuading them that what you're going to do together is in both of your best interests.  I had to rapidly change how I asked and how I introduced new things and new places.  I spent A LOT of time on the ground (and still do!), we tackled new places and obstacles (trains, bikes, dogs, rivers, tiny bridges and farmyards) with us both taking the perceived risk together, Dragon was quite happy for me to run the risk of being eaten by the mule killer alongside her, the responsibility was not all on her to make decisions and keep us safe.  So we pottered around with many a cute remark from the locals about me walking and her being a mule..... amazing how thick your skin can get quickly ;-)


Work

I guess what I'm saying is working this mule has taught me a lot about partnerships, the risk and the ride should be shared.  When we ride or work together there should be pleasure for both parties, it should not be a chore.  Work in most mule's eyes, as long as its fair, is pleasurable.  Dragon has taught me that work can be a real bonus to an animal, I've seen some equines enjoy their work but never met one whose whole attitude to life is changed by it.  Dragon is never happier than when she's done something, her happy mood continues for days!

Time

With time Dragon has settled in to life with us, I shouldn't be surprised at how long it has taken, The Mini taught me that mule time is 'as long as it takes', he needed about 18 months and so did Dragon.  She has shown us some other mulish traits which I have learnt to love and appreciate!

Neighbrays

We now have a mule who squawks and neighbrays in her unique mulish way at us every morning and whenever she sees someone in the garden, I was so ridiculously happy to hear her voice when it first appeared, it took her about 9 months to start and now we can't stop her.... the noises she makes are hilarious!  I really think that mules make noise when they're happy and secure where they are.

Body Language

Dragon is probably the most complicated animal on the body language front that I have ever had the pleasure to work with.  She is very 'honest' in her reactions to what you ask with your body language, if you ask her to back off she will, if you ask her to move forward she will..... if you get it wrong and block her forward movement she'll show you that you're being rubbish!

Dragon is not quite so sensitive to other equines' body language though.... she can be a real cause of confusion for horses.  She just doesn't react in the way that horses think she should!  One of Dragon's riding buddies is a lovely, alpha mare who likes to put others in their place, but try as she might she finds Dragon exasperating!  She threatens the mule, the mule looks at her with a 'whatever' look on her face. No matter how hard she seems to try the mule just stands there like 'nah can't understand a word you're saying....'  It's not that she doesn't understand it just seems to be that she is far too sure of herself to be bothered.

Confidence

Speaking of confidence this is another trait that Dragon has in abundance.  She is totally happy about her own ability to make sense of the world and keep herself safe.  She will try to face down the local dog population (I dread ever meeting the local hunt when out for a ride.... I think she would see them as a challenge!), any tractor or lorry, livestock including huge cattle are fair game and obstacles are for walking all over even if they shouldn't be.  While this is a great trait it can also have its moments, having a grown mule chasing a dog down the road can be hairy as can having a mule desperate to poke it's nose in to the engine of a tractor as it rumbles by very close!

Mule Moods

There are some days when Dragon is having a mule moment day.  It doesn't seem to go with her hormones, it just seems to be one of those days when it's simply not worth the hassle to try to 'play'.  Dragon can be angel or devil, these days the angel surfaces much more often than the devil but woe betide the day when you don't listen to the warning signs.  I generally start my rides on the ground to test what mood the mule is in, best to do this before getting on board and it gives me the information I need to assess where to go, what questions to ask and how to answer the questions I will be inevitably asked!  Do we canter a lot or do we walk, do we go somewhere busy or go for the quiet option?  I've also learnt that unless you're in the right frame of mind not to try!  The few times when I've been silly enough to try to play with Dragon in the wrong frame of mind or not on top physical form and I've regretted it, although I have to say she nearly always leaves me with a smile on my face (and sometimes mud on my butt!)

Mule Affection

Earning affection and returning it has been a real challenge with this lady. She can be aloof in the extreme and until fairly recently would rather walk away than 'suffer' much in the way of cuddles and scratches.  I believe in doing as much as possible with the gang on their own terms so tend not to tie them up to fuss, pet and train.  This means that unless they want fuss they are free to leave when they want, invariably this is exactly what Dragon would do.  She would turn her back and deliberately whip you with her tail, she is an extremely good aim with her whip tail and very adept at swiping you on the way past, there's a reason her nickname on occasions is Miss Whiplash ;-)

But recently this mule has started going soft, there are more occasions than not that she presents herself for attention, 'asks' gently for an ear rub or backs up slowly towards you to present her butt for a scratch!  These occasions really make me smile and feel grateful.  To be freely given affection from a mule like Dragon means such a lot.  I like to think that it means our 'deal' is complete and that she is as happy with her lot in life as I am with mine.

Life with Dragon

There is never a dull moment with this Dragon around; she's opinionated to the extreme, challenging, bossy, hides her sensitivity behind bluster and is always willing to give things a go, she can be grumpy if she gets out of bed the wrong side, she does not suffer fools gladly, she will work when asked nicely and work hard, she gives her friendship rarely but is loyal to those who deserve it...... strange old thing, somehow she reminds me a lot of myself.... maybe there's truth in choosing animals to share your life with who are a little like yourself!

I have a feeling that this beautiful mule is going to teach me a lot over the years to come, spending time with such honest animals teaches you much about the world around you and about yourself.

Think it must be time for my next lesson in humility, I'm off to play chamber maid to the mule!





19 comments:

  1. It is so refreshing to read your posts! Being an animal lover myself, anyone who is able to learn from animals is a beautiful thing, in my view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I find myself learning so much from animals, they are certainly very true to themselves and often have far more common sense than us humans, the world is a better place for being able to learn from them!

      Delete
  2. How beautifully told, FH. It is a work of love and learning on both ends. You are very careful with and respectful of her spirit. The picture where your hand is near her eyes is so tender ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all have such beautiful personalities and spirits and I feel it is my responsibility as their carer to try to understand and nurture each as an individual, I am still learning so much every day and love being allowed in to their world. Alas they cannot 'talk' but with time they tell you what they want if we only listen.

      I love the picture too, a snap I didn't know was being taken, we were chatting about itchy eyes and I was being directed to do Callie's bidding, at last I got the hint and was rewarded with affection back, a real privilege!

      Delete
  3. I love all the work and learning that you have done with Dragon! You are in inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind! It is a real pleasure to be allowed in to the affections of such powerful and noble creatures, we are lucky to be in on a fairly well kept secret ;-)

      Delete
  4. Loved reading your thoughts & feelings for Dragon. Makes me wonder if Camryn is part mule? Though she does enjoy her dogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon Camryn is definitely part mule! Dragon is getting more used to 'her' dogs but doesn't like strangers, she is very picky about her friends, typical woman :-)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful to learn more about dragon, I think the name suits her perfectly. The interesting thing for me as I was reading this, I kept thinking 'that sounds just like Emma'. I have never worked with mules, but I have heard that they often take after their horse mom or donkey father depending on whether or not they were raised with donkeys around. What do you think? I definitely recognize a lot of donkey traits in your description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, really glad you like the name, sometimes you find one and it just feels right!

      My feeling with mules is that they have got a bit of both but the horse side tends to be the more extrovert behaviour (like the flight, size, power, movement etc..) whereas the donkey side is much more subtle (loyalty, thinking, stoicism, sensitivity), it is definitely there in equal measures you just have to know what to look for and sometimes people don't take the time to notice.

      Unfortunately even quite a few mule folks don't want to attribute some of their mule's best traits to the donkey, I have NO idea why! The donkey side of things in my view is what makes mules so wonderful, these donkey traits are normally there even if the mule has never seen a donkey in real life, it just seems to be in their genes and nature. I for one am definite that mules get most of their best traits from the donkey side :-)

      Delete
  6. Ahhh Dragon my lovely pretty girl. I don't get it. Humans prize assertiveness in their own kind so why is it thought of as being difficult in equines? Us girlies have to take care of our own needs and if that means telling rather stupid humans in a way they finally understand so be it.
    Sounds like your human training has come on well. Send me some human training tips please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zoe! Assertiveness is definitely a GOOD thing! Top human training tips... ample swishes with the whip tail, lots of neighbrays at 6am in the morning, lessons in determination (you try get ALL that mud off before riding, we'll see how much you want it ;-), lots of exercise (must poo more....) and a good dose of laughter (I normally like to provide 'airs above the ground bucking fits' early in the morning to wake her up).

      Ears to you friend! Good luck with your human training, we must compare notes again soon!

      Delete
  7. Lovely to read about how your relationship with Dragon has developed. Like all animals, the Muleteers have such individual and special personalities. It's a pity that many people are not willing to invest the time and care in getting to understand and appreciate them.
    Lots of ear-waves and cuddles from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! It is nice to record how things have developed with Dragon, she is so very different to The Mini and Roller, she is an 'independent woman' in many ways but in others really wanted to love and be loved, she just needed time to feel at home and work out that life was ok. She has taught me such a lot and I can't wait to learn more lessons from her and with her, when you are rewarded with the privilege of a mule choosing to work with you it's definitely worth it!

      I shall deliver cuddles to the gang, nice to hear from you!

      FH

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful blog, made me quite tearful (and a little guilty) I hope she has forgiven me, but some how i doubt it. I love the fact that you sense her pleasure when she has 'worked' and been fulfilled mentally and physically. I also love the fact that the affection is increasing she used to love sitting on my lap if she got the chance (just like the mini) and having in between her back legs scratched and her ear gunge removed I think that dogged persistance and patience you have is paying off the only thing you can always beat a mule with love to all :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless! Of course she has forgiven you, she's too clever not to! I am very privileged to learn from her and have enjoyed seeing the world through her eyes (and ears!) over the last 18 months. She is a real individual, highly intelligent (even by mule terms) and in need of so much stimulation. Her attitude and relaxation levels have improved every day and it is now an exponential improvement. She has been a very busy girl this weekend, watch out for her post this week about her achievements..... I won't spoil her surprise though, she'll want to tell you herself ;-)

      Whinniebrays to you and the family xxx

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful post... things we should all think about. You seem to have done such a wonderful job of understanding your animal friends, and working WITH them instead of against them, something from which we all could benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really appreciate your kind words Mary Ann. I have learned the hard way sometimes with equines and can only learn from my mistakes (and those I see around me) and try to do my best. I am a great believer in the fact that animals know what works and is best for them if we only learn to 'listen'. I will still be learning until the day I die but oh what fun it will be in the process :-)

      Delete
  10. Oh I fully absorbed this post.
    It speaks volumes about how understanding you are and how wonderfully unique Dragon is .
    I adore and admire you both !!
    xox Willow

    ReplyDelete