Tuesday 20 August 2013

Winning Mule

Winning agility mule!
My attempts at human training are coming on well!  After reading all about what FH really thinks of me  (I knew she was soft on me really....) I decided that I should take our training to the next level and enter her for an agility competition.

Whilst the competition was called 'Horse Agility' I shall rename it 'Human Agility', FH has named it 'Mule Agility'.  Honestly I think she just tries to deflect pressure from herself on to me!

So the Dragon mobile arrived and I hopped on board without any problems..... I had plans for my day out....

Hello fans, nice to see you all.  There were lots of handsome short ears to chat with and show off in front of.  They had all brought a human with them too, some had even brought two (not sure I could cope with two humans, one to train is quite enough thank you!).  

So we had a little practice,   I got FH through the flappy curtain once she'd decided it wasn't a human eater....



Then over some poles, through and hoop and over a jump, backed over the poles, controlled FH's paces (impossible, she is too slow and prone to stopping for a little rest....


Then I loaded myself in the trailer while FH watched (lazy human), picked my way through the 'S' bend pretending there were snake infested waters on either side, stood on the podium with all four hoofellas off the ground


Then I had a little play on the tarpaulin...again FH stopped for a little chat... honestly humans talk too much... have you noticed me?!


Then my big mule moment came when I showed FH how to play see-saw, I was not at all bothered about tottering on the plank.... FH looked alarmed!  Sorry no pics of this one... blink and you'll miss it!

Then a stop for a lunch snack.... mule cannot function on an empty tummy so I opted for the 'all you can eat grass buffet'.  FH went and ate unhealthy human food, no wonder she was sluggish!

Then my big moment!  The competition!  Gotta show those short ears how to train humans..... I gotta prove that humans are not stubborn (not all the time at least) and if you negotiate with them you can get them to achieve quite a lot.

So around the obstacles I went with mulish charm and a swish of the tail here and there to keep the human listening to me.  FH did fairly well and managed to keep her feet up with mine most of the time, she did fail to get her feet in the right place in the S bend and dropped some points but I was perfect (not meaning to be big headed of course...)!  When we'd done we patiently watched everyone else who did great (whilst eating grass ;-) and then waited for the big results!


And the winner is...... ME!!! I managed to train my human so well that we got first prize!  How about that!  My first competition and a winner :-)  It's not the winning that was good though, it was the big grin on the human's face and the fun that we had.  Secretly I quite like this human training thing, I could get used to it..... now I have to train her to provide carrots on demand, scratch my itches, tidy my room, talk to me nicely..... hmmm actually I'm not doing too bad so far am I?  

Time for home and there was just one thing left for this superstar mule to do.  Have a nice little snooze in the afternoon sun.... it's hard work training humans!

Snoozy Mule!
Have a great week muleteers, whoever said that humans were stubborn?  They're actually quite a trainable species really but I doubt they have the intelligence of us mules... ah well at least they have us to look after them :-)

Many of the pictures  in this post are used with the kind permission of Martin Lovell Photography and remain copyrighted.

26 comments:

  1. Yay!! Congrats! You have done a wonderful job training your human :) Love your snoozing photos, you look so peaceful.

    I am so happy for you guys :) Mule agility rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! Even Dragon's have to sleep sometimes.... I had a bit of a busy day and got tired and emotional ;-)

      Delete
  2. Well done, what lovely photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the human training. You really need to write a book, I know my human would benefit greatly with further training. Lately she's been quite the slacker. Oh, both you and your human looked beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A guide to 'How to Train Your Human' sounds good! Maybe me, you and Zoe could co-author?!

      Delete
  4. Agree with Camryn, great job with the human training well done you. I've been trying to teach mine how to run so I can take her to a show, not had much success so any tips?
    You look fabulous like always a real super model of the mule world. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found dragging human along works well or promising her treats sometimes work.... problem is her idea of treats is wine and crisps and I am not old enough to buy her wine.... hmmm problem!

      Delete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH :) Big smiles here and cheers. We are very proud of you. Well done, it isn't often you can train a human so well, I'm impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann!! I am secretly fairly proud of my human, she did ok although she needs to work on her fancy footwork a bit!

      Delete
  6. It is always a delight to hear things from a mule's perspective. :) Congratulations all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bow my ears in thanks - us mules sure have a 'perspective' of our own ;-)

      Delete
  7. Emma and Ramsey send their congratulations. They are well aware of just how difficult human training can be, but they agree, it may be worth it in the end:) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys! Human training is SOOOO difficult isn't it? Good job us long ears are clever enough for the job!

      Delete
  8. Congrats Dragon, great job training FH, I'd say she's hard work!!! but you did a great job, may this be the 1st of many prizes you both win.
    Mags

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mags! FH is DEFINITELY hard work.... blah, blah, blah, do this, do that... anyone would think she's in charge! More training required I think ;-)

      Delete
  9. Whoopeeeee!!!! Always a winner, don't let us humans hold you back now, really show us what mules can do if they are allowed the chance to grow! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippeee, I am rather clever aren't I? I read all that slushy stuff FH had written and thought I'd show her what us mules are made of ;-) Next.... world domination! Neighbrays to you, Indy and the Wilford clan xx

      Delete
  10. Bravo Callie, muletta hermosa!. I am so happy, you both had trained very hard. Your stunning beauty, muleficient hooves and a very well trained FH took you both to the top, no wonder!.

    Oh, I love most how your Cruz del Sur brightly shines, showing everyone how hermosa you are!. You look fabulous wearing the rosette, coquettishly you, that sweet knowing eye by FH's blissful smile ... Felicitaciones, mis amores! (congratulations, my beloved ones).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah my dear friend I hoped you would like my colourful achievements. Such fun to play and win at the same time! Finally a competition that is all about fun and fearlessness, I think I am made for it! My pretty petite hooves are just perfect for perching on the podium and see-saw and I think my mulificent ears may have made the judge like me even more ;-)

      This weekend I am competing for the.... best sleeper and eater competition, just as important and the rewards of daydreams and a full tummy :-)

      Delete
  11. Awesome! Wow!
    The next thing Siera and I are working on is Morris [the Jack Russell] riding in the saddle with her.
    That is our big test to becoming the net awesome mule on my place.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! We had so much fun! We reckon Siera can definitely learn to carry Morris, whoever would not want to carry Morris, he is divine! I hope Fh doesn't get any ideas though..... I am not sure I want to carry that wriggly lurcher pup of ours, he would not sit still!

      Delete
  12. The donkeys send their heart-felt congratulations, recognizing of course, that it's the "donkey" in you that makes you so smart and beautiful! First time AND first-place - WOW! We are in awe ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys! It is definitely the donkey in me, I agree! We donkeys and mules are smart asses ;-)

      Delete
  13. There is no way that this human has any agility or training. I suspect a winning mule / cat team.

    PS get well soon Milo x Woof / lick from Arch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I have to agree, FH is not agile (in fact she's very clumsy....) and training her is virtually impossible.... GH tells me she's been trying for a lifetime to no avail. I can but try but I think it may be pretty futile?

      I have passed the condolences on to the wounded one, he is not enjoying having to be sedate!

      Delete
  14. Only just caught up with this. Great photos and nice to see a human being put through her paces! Well done on a such a good job!

    ReplyDelete