Friday 30 August 2013

First Ride Ever!

Wow Muleteers, what fun, I got ridden for the first time EVER!

Yesterday I had a new fan visit. I knew I was going to be the centre of the attention as FH got me on to the yard without the long eared ones..... apparently they were not what was required for the afternoon's excitement.... hmmm?

I waited a little while and what's this?  One of my favourite people has brought some visitors with her... and look there are small humans!  Humans that are not giants!  I can look one of the humans right in the eye, he is just MY size :-)

Hello little friend, would you like to brush me?  That's right I like being brushed there!  I am sooo soft and warm and not at all like those big monster horses and mules, you and me are just the right height, it's everyone else that is the wrong size, I think.


I was having such a lovely time!  Lots of brushing and stroking and my new little friend was very interested in my stable and what I ate.... I like humans that understand the important things in life.  

Dragon was busy trying to get in on the action!  Ermm hello!  I am the centre of attention today!


I was just having a little doze when I heard my new little friend say "can I ride him".... "yes, yes, yes, FH say yes!"  I've never found anyone the right size and ok I'm not really trained but I was born ready!
Hmmm FH has said "maybe"I think that should mean YES!  So I try a little harder and show off how calm and well behaved I am.... 

And then!  I had a little rider all of my own!  We had a little potter around on the yard and my little friend hung on tight to my ample and well placed mane while his Mum held on tight.  Oh I like this!  I have my own jockey!  If you look close I think the long ears are impressed aren't they?  Dragon is busy checking that I am doing it right, of course I am! 


Before my riding lesson began it was over... not fair!  But I heard plans for more riding with proper gear and everything!  Yay :-)  I do have a teeny weeny (read normal sized) saddle which I have always wanted to try so this may be just the occasion, I think I have found my very own jockey, Shetland Pony Grand National here I come?  Might be hard work.... maybe the Eating Grand National?

I knew that my new little friend was just the partner in crime for me!  After we had been riding he stood and chatted to me about the benefits of straw and even gave me a hand with pulling the straw from the net - a little man after my own heart.


I am loving this riding thing!  I hope my little friend doesn't grow too much, he only visits occasionally, next time he might be full grown, I hope not!  

So in honour of my new found career as a riding pony (please let there be more rides!) I leave you with my Friday Quote.

The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in to contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit and fire.
Sharon Ralls



19 comments:

  1. Oh my, that is SO cute! I see Dragon wants to know exactly what is happening, not jealous are you Dragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Dragon may be a jealous.... she was convinced she was the riding animal around here, I'll show her :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh I am so excited for you! Hooray! Isn't the start of a new adventure like this fantastic?
    Roller I am so happy I could cry!

    We are starting some 'wee' humans on our littlest mule called Fred.
    I hope we can follow each other's adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving my new adventure :-) I can't wait to hear all about Fred and the wee humans :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow I think Dragon is a bit jealous. She is looking fabulous by the way. Your very own sized human. Wonderful. You were born to have a rider. Can't wait to see you dressed in all your riding gear and your mini human in his riding gear too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is definitely jealous, she was SOOOO desperate for those small people to be her riders not mine. This time (for once!) I was the right size - hooray! I'm already planning my next riding excursion.... maybe an endurance ride, show jumping..... actually I think I'll settle for a potter up the lane!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Zoe, Dragon was jealous. That's cool to have given the Little his/your very first ride ever!!! And the pictures say it all, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camryn! You gots all this fun to come mighty soon I think?!

      Delete
  5. So cute! Isn't it fun to introduce the little humans to the joys of equines? Very excited for Roller to have his very own pint sized rider :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pint sized rider for a pint sized pony = perfection!

      Delete
  6. Awwww...what a delightful post and photos! I especially love the photo with the child and mule face to face. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dragon sure does like small people, she was VERY keen on them.... Roller also seemed very happy with her new friends!

      Delete
  7. How lovely, lucky Roller :-),

    I think Dragon has a secret. (I think Dragon loves mothering children and giving children rides on a lead rein and has good memories of little people giving her cuddles and having yummy picnics)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure does like small people, she has given a couple of rides to tots and will be a good step up when Roller is too small :-)

      Delete
  8. Way to go Roller! It's always good to start 'em young and you are indeed the perfect size for it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah start 'em young and keep em keen I say! I was so pleased my new little friend was interested in all the right things - FOOD especially :-)

      Delete
  9. Well done! Looks like you all had a lovely time
    Lots of love from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I had a lovely time, it was all very exciting... and then I needed a little lie down and snooze :-)

      Snuffles for a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  10. Oh Roller ...you can now enter the Roller Derby as you have a jockey !!!
    Oh wait I think mum just told us the Roller Derby consists of skaters .
    WEll we know you are the very best Mini in the UK Roller ...first time rider and so professional you were !
    By the way mum says there is some sort of award awaiting F.H. at our place ???
    Neighs from your nuzzle bug Honey Bee xox
    Hmph.. yes well okay ... Think say Hello too .

    ReplyDelete