Monday 22 October 2012

Guard The Dog Duty

Guard Callie at your service!  Sadly one of my canine companions is not very well, FH has firmly instructed me that it is now my duty to guard him rather than the other way around.  Normally the canines keep watch over us and the ranch by snoozing away in the garden and greeting any intruders.  It seems that our Big Dog friend is hanging up his guarding cap and is making the most of snoozing in the autumn sun in his retirement (the Big Dog is always the best indicator of the weather - where the sun shines he will be).

So as the Senior Guard in the family I have taken my duties seriously and taken up residence at the fence line watching over my kingdom, me and the Big Dog have had a little chat about tactics such as sniffing the breeze for the latest goings on, using our radar ears to hear the local gossip and of course he's told me it's fine to soak up the sun whilst on guard duty!  He also said that the job description allows snoozing on duty and a bit of eating, he seemed less than impressed by my 'Chuckle Greeting'... this is the muley version of a hello, apparently this is not to the Big Dog's liking..... well every girl has to put her own personality in to a job :-)


So I shadowed the Big Dog for a while to ensure that I was up to the job - ears on full alert!


I also checked out my Junior Guard Dog, the Pocket Sized Labrador (who has since been creating havoc on the job and raiding the bins at the office) - I wouldn't like to have his Performance Review with FH when she gets home.... 


Finally after a hard days work it I just couldn't help following the Big Dog's instructions that it's ok to sleep on the job.... my ears just felt kinda droopy..... I think I'm going to enjoy this Guard Mule job, I will do it to the best of my muley ability and make the Big Dog proud!


The Big Dog has also decided that snoozing in retirement is allowed too....




10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Greyhound friend you have, Callie. Retirement years should be spent dozing in the sun and enjoying a good friend's company. Love your siesta ears!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmen, he is rather good looking isn't he?! MH calls him the Prince of Dogs, we think he has regal aspirations... My siesta ears just have to have a little droop in them :-)

      Delete
  2. What an important job you have! Sounds nice, I wish my job was half as nice as that! Sleeping on the job, what a life! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FH says she would like to sleep on the job too, she's ultra jealous.... today I am trying to master eating and guarding at the same time, maybe tomorrow I can eat, snooze and guard all at once :-)

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear big dog needing to slow down a bit, but retirement is always easier if you can relax knowing you can hand your job over to safe hands (paws or hooves) Lovely to see the family pulling together to support each other...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very true Jo, he has quietly whispered to me that 'Guarding' in this house is actually all about looking good and greeting our visitors - I think I am completely perfect for the job! We will look after the Big Dog, after all he is, as you say, one of the family :-)

      Delete
  4. Callie, I am very impressed with your guarding abilities. You are a very clever (and beautiful) girl. The Big Dog looks very sweet too - take good care of him.
    Cuddles from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy, clever and beautiful? Yes I do agree! Sending you ear waves x

      Delete
  5. Guarding is a very important job. My mules and donks usually take care of it. IF the intruders get past the braying donks and mules, there are 5 hounds to chim in. The house dog, Morris then runs around and becomes frantic.

    He is 8 now and is beginning to slow down also.
    Naps are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a great guarding gang there :-) Morris is just adorable especially with his Happy Hedgehog!!

      Delete