Friday 22 February 2013

Roller's Philosophical Friday: Grass

New Grass!! Yippee!  This week FH has decided that we have thoroughly trashed our winter paddock and eaten every possible bit of greenery (or brown twiggy things if you're a mule - yuck!).  That sounds bad but really it was good; this meant that we were allowed on to our other paddock which had... you've guessed it, grass!!

Nothing is as sweet and fine to my discerning palate as lovely, sweet, sweet grass.  FH is mean with our grass, she says it might make my feet sore if I eat too much, weird, humans are odd creatures, she seems convinced though....

The only good thing about the grass rationing is that FH manages to keep us some fresh grass in reserve all through the winter.  We get a little bit every day and it certainly brightens up my morning!


We saw FH playing with the zappy fence thing (I can tell if it's on by sniffing it, the humans marvel at my electric forcefield sense, I can't help it if I'm a super pony can I?), this normally means good things like new grass!

Dragon was out for working so The Mini and I waited, tapping our tiny hooves, come on, we're hungry!

Finally, the gate opened, yay, nice new grass! 


FH contentedly watched us munch away, she was telling us that one of her acquaintances asked her why our field got so muddy and why she lets us tear it up and doesn't keep us stabled more.....
Gosh I'm glad she didn't listen to them!  She said that she prefers happy Muleteers with ample mud whenever possible, occasionally it's time to stay indoors but we get out as much as possible.  

There's nothing like a bite to eat with your mate!


So that leaves me to impart to you some wisdom, although it refers to you hum-animals, I think we are classed as boys!!  

My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard.  Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass"; "We're not raising grass," Dad would reply. "We're raising boys".
Harmon Killebrew

Have a lovely weekend, here's to mud pies, skidding around and leaving brake marks and..... oh yes, munching on sweet, sweet grass :-) xxx

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We'll try to send some grass over to you..... sending you snuffles in the meantime xx

      Delete
  2. Dearest Roller, first and foremost, what a lovely weather you are enjoying; the grass looks delicious!. I agree with muddy hooves and delightful mud baths making happy Muleteros. FH does a wonderful job in keeping you all the happiest and healthiest.

    You both look adorable in the pictures, Mini in his shining armour and you showing your ponificious mane in the wind!. Here in New England we are awaiting two more snowstorms ...

    Be well, mis amigos, with plenty of sunshine on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is very cold but crisp and sunny so we are happy, I love the cold :-) I'm off to dream of grass to come tomorrow morning, yummy! Stay well in those snowstorms our friend, sending you warming snuffles and eau de pony xxx

      Delete
  3. So lucky! Our grass just got a fresh covering of snow. You two are looking mighty fine out there munching that delicious grass! Shy is jealous for sure :)
    And FH is right, be ever so careful with the grass, sore hooves are no joke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow we like snow too... although not when it covers our grass! Guess I better listen to FH then.... I just love the green stuff sooooo much.... Sending you and Shy snuffles for a nice weekend xxx

      Delete
  4. Yeah! That grass looks good enough for me to eat! Let alone a horse/Mule! Anyway, up `ere in`t North, we ain`t got no grass, jus` that mud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome to come and munch it with us, the only problem is that Dragon the girl of the gang has appalling table manners....
      Mud shows that you've been living life over the winter... we got plenty too!

      Delete
  5. Hi there Roller.. You think FH is a bit mean with the grass , well that's nothing compared to what has happened in our paddock.. Me and mum have now got to SHARE !, I have a new brother , and mum has a new .. Well lets call her a sister. I had got my eye on all the spring grass, I was getting very giddy indeed.. Then up went a strange tape thing, and in walked the imposters. I'm not feeling very happy I can tell you Roller.. Mum says we have to be kind because they have not been used to nice things like us..
    I'm thinking that perhaps there will be enough nice grass to go round, and my brother is kind of cute, and mum will have a lady to lunch with.. (If there is any left) .. Anyway roller be sure to enjoy your new paddock, it sure tastes good this new grass.. Nom nom nom.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, this is so exciting Woody! A pal to play with for both you and your Mum?! Brilliant! I can highly recommend having a brother to get up to mischief with.... we will compare notes! And your Mum will be able to watch you with her sister and they can compare notes about how naughty you are, also when you're not listening they'll say how good you are, and cute and clever and strong.... Mums are like that!

      FH is very excited! She wants to know if they have long ears? And what are their names??? A quiet tip Woody..... women.... they have a lot of questions, and they talk A LOT! Leaps, nips and bucks for a good weekend! x

      Delete
  6. Whoops ... Was really rude there Roller.. I had my mouth full... Have a great weekend all muleteers love from Woody x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling Roller, so happy to see you enjoying the grass with The Mini. I love grass too. It brings back happy memories of when I was at school and, in the summer, we had lunch breaks in a beautiful playing-field with lovely trees and lush grass. I used to sit on the grass and make daisy chains - I expect that you eat daisies! Anyway, enjoy the grass and keep cosy in this cold weather.
    Lots of love and cuddles from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Judy, we do like to eat the daisies, they are very yummy. We try to eat them as soon as they pop up but they get out of control! Oh well, they are very pretty and FH secretly like making daisy chains, even now :-) The smell of freshly cut grass will soon be here with Spring nearly upon us.... we have a momentary pause for some very cold weather, good job I only lost a tiny bit of my coat, I'm now firmly hanging on to it!

      Stay warm and toasty, snuffles to you xxx

      Delete
  8. Roller would you please pass this message on to FH .. The imposters are called Daisy & Dillon.. Daisy is white with long ears, and DIllon is just like me only smaller. He has only got small ears , but I think they will soon be as long as mine... X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FH is just so excited! She thinks the impostors sound delightful, friends for both you and your Mum - how fun!

      Delete
  9. Hi Guys oh it looks fabby in a field without snow! My name is Sarina and I am a Paso Fino horse that lives in America, having me mum post this for me. Yes well you are right lucky to be eating grass you are. TAKE A PEEK AT MY Sarina in a Snow Globe post mum put up a few weeks back and our Ponies in the Blizzard you will see what horses in New England have been up against the past month. Oh and 8 more inches of the white stuff predicted tonight ...I will be stopping in here more often to gaze at your lovely pens! Nickers and NEIGHS Sarina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neighbrays to you Sarina! We love your blog! Thanks for stopping by here, we're glad to meet you. We heard you guys are getting more snow, hope you don't get buried by it all.... Roller is a little worried that he would get lost in those snow drifts, but then his legs are pretty short.....

      Snuffles to keep you warm xx

      Delete