Wednesday 26 March 2014

Do 'They' Know You're Pregnant?

FH here, The Muleteers have kindly loaned me their blog for a little while so that I can answer a commonly posed question..... 

As soon as we announced the imminent arrival of our Human Foal I have been asked two sets of questions more regularly than any others..... the first was….

What are you going to do with all your animals? Surely you can't cope?  

Grrr.... this question came from those who don't know us well and although well meaning hurt me a lot, I'll be blogging about the pleasures of pregnancy and animals soon when I've calmed down!  Needless to say they are going nowhere and enrich every moment of our lives that we spend with them and will undoubtedly add the same to HF's life too :-)

The secondDo they know you're pregnant? Are they acting any different? 
was.....



And the answer is?????

Categorically YES!

I have always been one for assigning human emotions and intelligence to animals but to be honest they never fail to provide me with evidence for this and in my experience they are far more 'thinking' and 'feeling' than many humans I meet!  On the question of whether the Muleteer Gang understand that something is different I can only say yes in greater or lesser amounts, or at least it's expressed differently by all of them.

The most intuitive and curious member of the gang for certain is Roller, it's almost like this lovely little man knows that his new charge is nearby.  Roller is always one for a snuffle but he is extra snuffle-giving at the moment, particularly to 'the bump', but never is he too fierce in his nudging, always gentle like he's trying to say something to the one inside.....  I just can't wait for them to meet, what a lucky HF to have Roller as their first pony!


And then there's The Mini.  Well he certainly knows something's up but it's less obvious because he's always been Mr Sensitive and highly in tune with how I feel, he too is busy checking out the bump and has been super careful to be mannerly.  Normally we have the odd 'yeeha' moment when the trimmer comes for his feet (he needs to move to deal with his anxiety) but last time he simply seemed resigned to the fact that FH couldn't cope with the run around and stood stock still waiting for it all to be over.  As ever The Mini continues to be my loyal dog in mule form and has been a giver of much needed hugs and those ever listening ears….. I reckon MH is lucky to share the load of a hormonal pregnant woman with a mini mule - they are a magic secret, all Mums to be need one :-)


What do Dragon's make of bumps?  Well this is also a huge surprise..... I think the Dragon mule is going soft!  I'm sure this mule knew of my 'condition' before I did, I was still riding for a few months of being pregnant until my back got sore and I'm sure Dragon knew that she was carrying an extra special dual cargo as she was very careful with both of us.  Not normally one to stand still for too long she did seem remarkably chilled and on the ground this has continued.

Officially the Human Foal's first Mule Ride!
One of the first things I said to MH when I found out I was pregnant was that he needed to practice with Dragon's feet so that when I got huge (like now!) he could do them instead of me.  Whilst very good with her feet for me she could be a little snatchy and quick when she wanted to be with other people and I wasn't sure of the mechanics of bending right down to retrieve her foot when I can barely see my own feet let alone touch them!  Well she obviously overheard and has totally adapted for me!  All it takes is an 'up' and finger pointing at each hoof and it appears as high as she can lift it and is held quietly for as long as needed - super mule or what? All done loose with no tying up too ;-)  So needless to say I am very pleased and proud of her, she always comes through as the mule that will give you just what you need.

I can't deny that I am so looking forward to riding her again when I can, she has been riding out with Smiley Human having a lovely time and staying sane and fit but oh how I yearn to be back in the saddle!


But what about the feline brigade?  Well yes, not to be outdone and rather abusing her small size Catanian has taken it upon herself to fully acquaint with bump as much as possible.  She appears to think the cat shelf has been put there solely for her pleasure.... but also seems intent on purring away like a Diesel engine on top of it.  Let's just say the Human Foal seems quite content with this and delights in kicking at Catanian's purring using me as the inbetween kicking post! Hmmmm….



So there we have it the gang sure do know what's going on..... not that any of you ever doubted it I'm sure!  They never fail to amaze me and have really helped to keep me going, not many weeks now and they will be experiencing a whole new level of understanding!  One of the things I'm looking forward to most..... introducing the HF to its new furry brothers and sisters, it's going to be really lucky to be part of their gang ;-)

17 comments:

  1. Honestly humans do ask some silly questions, as if any of us could fail to know what's going on. I am looking forward to? your new foal too, I feel like an honoury aunt. Aunty Zoe has a nice ring to it don't you think?
    So pleased you're keeping well FH and what about that Dragon isn't she just amazing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Aunty Zoe has a wonderful ring to it! There we are you are christened! That Dragon is rather grand isn't she.... but then again she is a girl, what can we say?! xx

      Delete
  2. Seriously, people actually thought you'd give up your gang? That is very upsetting. I agree, our fur ones know and understand what's going on in your body. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could they? We were all very shocked but put it down to ignorance! The gang have been a huge positive and never once do I begrudge spending time with them, I'm sure your Mom understands Camryn :-) xx

      Delete
  3. I sympathise with you, FH, I have endured questions of the like, as if our companions were disposable items (what, are you keeping your deaf cat? what, are you taking your cats along when you move?!).

    Of course, your muleficient family does know about the new life emerging and they show it in very, very touching ways. They do take care of us, our companions, in spontaneous and clear ways, in deep understanding. From the little Queen to the mighty Princess, through all the handsome knights,"they are gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained" (oh, Henry Beston).

    Loved that first ride :-) Beautiful post!.

    Cuddles and snuggles and tickles and headbutts to all the fabulous muleteros ♥









    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a wonderful quote Carmen and so very true, my Muleteer friends are gifted with those attributes which are better than most humans can ever hope for and never once do they act with unkindness, what more can one ask of her companions? So disposable our animal friends appear to have become, oh how sad. Alas there will be hard work ahead but never more deserving companions upon which to expend energy could I imagine.

      The Muleteers send snuffles, cuddles, miaows and neighbrays after I happily delivered yours!

      Delete
  4. Awwww....what sweet photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So well put and yes we of course understand
    Tears in my eyes ~ so very sweet they are ...so very caring !
    To think some people don't understand animals ,
    but it is their loss isn't it ~
    for we know how amazing animals are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so delightfully caring, every day they display their intelligence and empathy is so many different ways. It certainly is others loss to never understand this, alas you cannot teach it you must feel it.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely blog.. I know my labrador knew I was pregnant and accepted the baby after one sniff when it came home as part of the family. Dragon loved children (I suspect its her donkey and female nurturing side) and why would we want to hide the loving side of our selves and our families away from our animal families when it shows the best of us and our leadership skills...thinking of you over the week to come xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, such a lovely reply! Dragon sure does have that maternal instinct, can't wait for her to meet her new gang member, somehow I think this pair may be having many adventures together to come :-) The muleteers have kept me going over the last long weeks and I'm sure they'll keep me smiling over the ones to come! Hope you're well, the Muleteers send snuffles and neighbrays xx

      Delete
  7. Good to hear from you FH.
    Animals are so sensitive - they know far more than we realise. It is very touching to see them nuzzling up to you.
    I am so sorry to hear that anyone has asked you "what you are going to do with the animals". They are part of your family!!! Anyone who can ask that question just does not understand your bond with these animals. But don't let it upset you - keep your blood pressure down!
    I am sure that all the Muleteers will welcome Human Foal with much love. Human Foal is incredibly lucky to be born into such a wonderful family.
    With warm regards and calming thoughts from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Judy, thank you so much for your kind reply. It is sad that many see animals as disposable but I calm myself by realising that not all are lucky enough to understand the bond that we form with our companions - be they furry or human. The Muleteers and Co have been such a wonderful presence over the last few months keeping me fit, in a routine and best of all never failing to make me smile even on the wettest, darkest winter mornings! I am lucky to share my love for this gang with such wonderful followers of the blog, thank you for your kind words and ongoing support :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh, oh, FH... what a wonderful post. I will tell you this... I was forced to give up a horse when I got pregnant with my oldest son, 45 years ago. I have never forgotten it. Good on you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary Ann, sometimes circumstances mean we have no choice but I can understand how you still remember having to make such a difficult decision, our companions never leave our hearts. I'm thinking of you at the moment and wishing you well with the changes you are going through. Hoping that your furry companions are helping to keep you smiling. With very best wishes - FH

      Delete
  9. I have no doubt that they all knew of the Space Invader long before you did. We humans miss so much with our duller senses and conviction in our own rightness.

    I like to think that one day we will learn how to communicate better with our animals and not think of them as disposable, but in truth, it is questions like these that make me think it will never happen. Perhaps the HF, growing up with such good tutors, will finally be the one to change such foolishness. It's already working on Mama Dragon after all:)

    ReplyDelete