Tuesday 19 February 2013

Splish Splash....

The sun has been shining for more than a day - wow!  At Muleteer HQ this is a reason for celebration... Dragon style.  And what better way to celebrate that heading out for a ride?

I called up my neigh-bours My Heroine (aka Breeze) and The Sensible One (aka Chance) and asked if they fancied going out for a girlie day out.  Of course we decided we better take some humans as they come in useful for things like opening gates and directing traffic...only thing is we have to carry them!

So along came my friends and we decided it was time for a splash in the river, you may remember that my friend Breeze and I have been working on our splashing skills in case we ever need to earn hay money.  Breeze is an expert at the river splash with her front feet...





Here she is showing off (in a rather abstract way... appalling camera work FH) her skills.


Well anything Breeze can do I'm gonna give it a go too!  I eyed up the water, it was a little chilly around my mulificent feet but looked ready for some action.


I got on in there and splished and splashed and paddled to my heart's content :-)

After rather a long time of hilarity and some very soaked humans we decided that it might be time to stop playing in the river, my hooves were starting to feet like wet sponges!  So off we went waving ears at everyone we passed.

Eventually it was time to leave my neigh-bours and head off on my own.  FH had grown stiff and decided it would be a good opportunity to hop off and give me a break. She really doesn't realise how tough I am does she?


I had a little snuffle in the drain to see how much water there was, for once it was only a trickle. No raging torrents here at the moment, mmm now I think I'll just test the hedgerow too... yum!


Then back in the saddle and FH told me to take her home to the ranch.... hmmm I think she means petite English country cottage?  We passed under my favourite railway bridge, no trains to spot today which is always a disappointment.....


Nearly home I was struck by a funny noise coming from over the hedge, a high pitched bleat.

Whatever could it be?

Oh it's that time of year again where the lambs are springing around and calling for their Mums!  They are so cute and bouncy, FH and I had a lovely time watching them enjoy themselves!


Alas all good things must come to an end, a couple hours, gallons of river water, a few bouncy lambs and some good miles later I was ready for a roll and of course a bite to eat. Ready to do it all over again the next day.


Til next time Muleteers, happy riding!

22 comments:

  1. That looked such a good ride. Hope it stays dry so the fields can recover a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! Our field is recovering a little, just waiting for the sun to shine and make the grass grow - yum :-)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful day. Your splashing skills are superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I am developing my own technique, I have to improve it so that I can give FH a bath at the same time, hehehe

      Delete
  3. P.S. To answer your question after my comment on your last post: Lola is as adorable, fat, and opinionated as ever. "Opinionated" is a polite way of putting it. We will start hiking together this Spring. I'm trying to figure out how to fit her with a mini mule sized pack. Any suggestions? I've heard goat packs or large dog packs might work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very like a mini mule I know well! You could be describing The Mini, perhaps they would be a match made in heaven :-) Goat packs work really well for mini mules apparently, never tried one myself but they look like a good fit. Other option would be a dog pack or a European company Barefoot are now making a horse backpack which we might invest in http://www.barefoot-saddles.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=265
      Look forward to hearing about your hikes together!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link. I will check that out.

      Delete
  4. Hello callie, I am most impressed with your splashing skills, I particularly enjoyed your action video. You looked like you had a really fun time with your friends. Sunshine really does make everything nicer don't you think ? We have a few of those noisy cotton wool balls in the field opposite us and do you know what ? They are interrupting my beauty sleep! . I I thought I had dark rings around my eyes this morning , but woody said they were always there.. Hope the sun is shining again for you tomorrow.. Love from Ruby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ruby! The sunshine is wonderful, my coat is shining, my feet are drying out and there are colourful plants appearing all around, the grass must grow soon, surely? Know what you mean about the cotton wool balls, they will be moving in next door to us soon...... yawn, mind you I may test out my best neighbray on them and see how they like it, if they're very unlucky The Mini will start too, now he has an amazing pair of lungs so they better watch out. Hope that lovely son of yours is behaving? Aren't boys just full of stuff and nonsense??! Love Callie xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. So much fun was had by all, even if it was a little bit cold!

      Delete
  6. Such a great girls adventure you had, dear Callie. Your friend is very pretty. I loved your splashing technique in the crystalline water --looks very cold!. The lambs are very sweet as are your furry ears listening. Are they those beauties with black faces and legs?.

    The victory mud bath is the best way to celebrate being a great Mula Aventurera! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrr it was a bit cold Carmen, my hooflets were rather chilly but I bravely splashed on as it was so much fun. My friend is very pretty and has taught me lots, I have only learnt to splash by watching her, it didn't take me long to get the hang of it. FH says it not common for equines to do this so I must have learnt it by myself. She is pleased as I love the water and never get scared - that is because I am a Mula Aventurera, love it! Ear waves to you xxx

      Delete
  7. Fantastic! Sunny today here too and I went for a long walk without any donkeys (now I feel very guilty!) but came home and took Siog out for her new practice run at leading nicely. Hmmm ... she thought it was much too close to feed time to be truly interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's so nice to see the sunshine and get out and about. We have lots of plans for fun with the long ears this year but we need the weather, fingers crossed this is the sign of things to come!

      Delete
  8. Hello lovely Dragon - I loved the video of you splashing so elegantly in the water. Such a beautiful, clever, elegant lady...
    Cuddles from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my Hollywood moment Judy! I try my best :-)

      Delete
  9. Splashing looks jolly good fun, hope I can learn to do that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great fun Cyril! You should definitely give it a go, we'll give you lessons x

      Delete
  10. Hah, my old QH used to do the same splish splash on fox hunts. I thought it was always really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren, great to have you stop by! The splashing was a little disconcerting for my human when I first started as she thought I was going to roll (I do have a little bit of a history of this.... oops!) but eventually she trusted me so I think I will continue ;-)

      Delete
  11. Looks like a great trek! Spring is in the air, yippee :D

    ReplyDelete