Saturday 23 February 2013

Cool For Cats....

The purrfect way to start the day!
Brrrrrrr Miaowleteers it is cold!  It has suddenly plunged below zero here and the wind has been making it feel even colder.  The humans have been providing me with nice plush beds and warmed food but I have politely refused all but the tastiest morsels.  They just don't seem to understand that the warmest place to sleep is curled up in one of the Muleteer's beds!  At the moment I am favouring Dragon's bed as she is more discerning with her bathroom habits, those boys just go anywhere....

There is one other place that is perfect for a spot of napping.... this morning I was feeling a little sorry for myself because I had been in a bit of a cat fight with our neighbourhood bully cat last night.  I had a scratched nose and wounded pride, not to mention my wild eyes.  FH decided that I needed some TLC and sat down with me in Dragon's bed (good job it was clean), I climbed on board and settled in for a stroke and snooze.  FH had bought some coffee so there we sat in -3 C for an hour snuggling, I think I even heard FH purr or was I just hearing myself?

We chatted about the icicles on the wall, the frosty ground and all the while we made each other happy.  I purred, head butted and blinked a lot and FH sighed with relaxation and pleasure.


What better way to be spend a cold February morning than warming your hand and your heart?  FH pondered.... she could be in a heated, indoor shopping mall with a Starbucks Mocha Latte in one hand and a Big Mac in the other, or maybe laying in bed until noon with telly on in the background catching up on the soaps?

....or this.... an easy choice!
Starbucks?
Nah, not her style..... think she was pretty happy here with me, a room with a view, a companion with unconditional love, the sound of mules grazing, birds tweeting and crisp, cold air.  A warm lap and a gentle stroke for me and a piece of heaven for the human.  If only all mornings could be this purrfect!

For all you cat lovers out there, here is a quote we think you'll like :-)

I have felt cats rubbing their faces against mine and touching my cheek with claws carefully sheathed.  These things, to me, are expressions of love.
James Herriot

8 comments:

  1. -3? Uh! Thats not cold, up here, it got to be so cold, that I never went riding!! Now thats cold!Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Muleteers are soft southerners (except for Roller the Shetland), as soon as things dip below 0 we are horrified! There are lots of good about the cold though... frozen ground, no mud, Roller looks magnificent in his woolies and FH takes pity on us so there is more haylage - more cold please!

      Delete
  2. Ah, James Herriot ... a favourite author of mine!. I have read many of his wonderful books.

    My darling Catanian, this was the best description of a perfect, loving morning enjoying those little yet irreplaceable things we need to feeel comfort. I am sure that FH purrs, too!. Feeling the crisp air on a lap with a view (along a cup of coffee) is fantastic.

    My three kitties agree with you that cold is always very cold!. At this moment, they are all curled up in the warmest spots around the house: by a heater, in an igloo bed and underneath a blanket atop cushions.

    I am sorry to hear about your cat fight, these things can turn truly nasty. You are a most pretty girl. Stay away from trouble!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kitties sound like they are snuggly and warm, I have managed to stay out of trouble today, no more cat fights! If I stay close to the mules the other cat can't get near me (The Mini charges it.... oops!) so I think I shall do this. James Herriot is also one of our favourite authors, he has taught many children and adults the value of kindness and that working with animals is never ordinary, sometimes sad, sometimes funny but always worth it :-)

      Sending miaows, head butts and purrs to you and your feline royalty xxx

      Delete
    2. No wonder Mini is your Prince Valiant. Stay warm, cosy and safe, milady! ♥

      Delete
  3. Hello there diesel .. The guys in the paddock have just told me about your very sore nose.. That was a very nasty bully to do that to your very beautiful face. I am the only cat living in this lane , apart from my sister but she doesn't count really , because she is 18 years old and sleeps on a memory foam pillow all day.. I'm sure you enjoyed your special time with FH today, I love sitting on my humans knee, she does the tickle under the chin movement , bliss ! You are very lucky also that dragon allows you to sleep in his bedroom, I'm banned from the field apartment.. That woody boy chases me .. He never catches me though . Get well soon and have a nice night in .. Love from Ratty cat. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ratty Cat! Nice to make your acquaintance! Oh yes the tickle under the chin, that is perfection! Hmmm you understand the challenges of living with long ears.... to start with they used to chase me too, especially The Mini, I was lucky to get away sometimes. Then all of a sudden I became his friend, I'm not really sure how it happened but now we understand each other. I can sleep in either of the stables and my big companions step carefully around me, they also let me dart in between their feet and use their tails for hunting practice. FH thinks I have become part mule? A mulecat sounds fun!

      Keep trying to endear yourself Ratty, long ears' backs make a nice place to sit, have you seen my finest hour? http://www.muleteers.com/2012/07/worlds-first-mule-riding-cat.html I am aiming for lots more Mini riding this summer when he wears his rug, I can grip with my claws then, he's not so happy when I try it without the rug on, can't imagine why??

      Miaows to you and your sister! xxx

      Delete
  4. How nice it is that your FH comes out to spend time with you in the cold. I haven't been riding all winter!

    Ice.
    Ice.
    Ice.
    That explains it all.
    We do have a cat that likes to hang out in our shed...it belongs to the neighbors and is a good mouser!

    ReplyDelete