Monday 5 March 2012

Yawn!

Greetings Muleteers!  Callie here again, roving reporter in the world of the Muleteers.  What a busy weekend, I promise to report more when I've had time to think it all through.  Human and I got caught in a hail storm on Saturday while we were practising standing still at the mounting block - yawn!  What a boring experience that was.....  although she did make it bearable with lots of nice crunchy apple pieces when I stood still like a good mule :-) 

Yawn, training really can be quite boring!
After a while I gave in and let her know that I really do know how to stand still while she climbs on board, it's just so much funnier making her lose her balance and trotting off up the lane with her, we'll make a mule out of her yet (well her balance at least, those ears will never do!).  The hailstorm was most upsetting though, my beautiful cowmule saddle got wet and I stood dejectedly waiting for it to go, my ears were all droopy, alas I carried human home safely with no more than a flick of my tail, she was very pleased with me, I even got extra carrots!

So while I'm pondering what to tell you about my fun weekend I've been interviewing Roller Polar, boy was that a long process, he has to think about everything VERY carefully, his favourite word is errrrrmmmmm.

My report will follow soon once I've finished painting my hooves, a girl needs to look bright and cheerful in these days of spring, who knows when prince charming will come knocking!





3 comments:

  1. Oh, Callie, I would yawn, too!. But you have shown the world what a magnificent Mule does best: to remain calm and sure-footed under the most unflattering weather conditions!.

    This reminded me of a piece of history, where your Southamerican ancestors played a vital role, literally. Allow me to share this with you (then, you can impress Ro-Land with your history knowledge!).

    In the early 19th century, the Argentinean General San Martín undertook the noble yet very perilous mission to cross the vast Andes mountain range in order to liberate the Spanish colonies from the Crown. Now, for some obscure reason I suspect a short-eared ancestor was part of, our intrepid General is usually painted in heroic portraits upon a majestic white horse in the Andes. Truth is that he succeeded in this most treacherous and long journey, defying high altitudes, howling winds, frigid temperatures, steep cliffs and uneven terrain thanks to the loyal, strong, intelligent, sure-footed and most extraordinary Mula (here you learnt a word in Spanish for Ro).

    The story goes even further, where my great-grandmother donates a pack of distinguished and adventurous Mulas to help the General in his quest. For which she received a missive from our hero thanking the most precious gift.

    I know that you are curious by now, so here are two pictures worth a million brays:

    the General astride a white shortear ...

    http://prensanecochea.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/sanmartincrossestheandes.jpg

    ... and astride dilligent hooves!

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Cruce_de_los_Andes.jpg

    Salud! (cheers!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Carmen this is so exciting :-) Famous Mulas (I have been impressing Ro-Land with my language skills!), I can just picture myself in the Andes carrying important people, we long ears love an adventure! I'm going to get female human to print out this mulificent picture and hang it on my stable wall where everyone can see it.

    Your Great Grandmother sounds like a wonderful lady... anyone that understands us long ears just has to be :-)

    'Til next time, I'm sending neighbrays your way - Callie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy, Callie!. I fancy Ro-land's eyes before such a polyglot lady.

    By the time of your adventurous ancestors, most of Southamerican land was The Vice-royalty of the River Plate. Hence, those were royal Mulas!.

    ReplyDelete