Sunday 24 November 2013

Mule - Will Work for Carrots!

Yippedy-do-dah-yippedy-day, my oh my what a super fine day!  I have figured out how to get the best of both mule worlds..... Now being a mule there is nothing I like better than 'a job'.  I like to entertain myself and the others around me by getting on with the work in hand.  AND.... I've discovered that it's a great way to earn carrots too :-)  The humans are super soft and seem to think that I deserve carroty treats for pulling heavy branches around to save them the effort.....

.... this is really nice of them but don't tell them they needn't bother!  I really like this 'job' thing.  When I noticed that MH was chopping down more of the wayward Bay tree I squawked and offered to assist.  Shame that the bay is not nicer to eat but alas it looked like a bit of fun could be had.

FH quickly volunteered our services for dragging the branches up the lane to the bonfire pile (that'll be next week's fun I hope ;-)  Out came one of my outfits for work and I was ready for the off.  I must just tell you about my outfit though.....

You see I'm a mule that likes to do vintage, no point buying new when you can recycle.  And Oh My Mule is this vintage...... my chained breast collar for dragging comes from 1940 and was worn by mules in the war.  It even has stamps on it from where it was made and that it is mule sized.  FH thinks there is something lovely about a piece of equipment that was once meant for badness to be used for good today, I like to think of my muley ancestors wearing this harness and doing much the same as me.... guess they didn't get carroty treats though :-(

Come on MH get those branches attached will you?

Honestly a girl could fall asleep waiting for you humans to get on with the job.


That's it, we're dragging..... yey!  


About half way there.... still quite a few to move, come on MH....


OK while you're horsing around (hehe) me and FH can pose for some photos :-)


Oh OK looks like I'm roped up and ready for action!  Just one thing FH where's my carrot?

I did find it in that pocket - yummy!


Well I got that mule work done super fast without even breaking in to a sweat, good thing the humans let me help otherwise they'd have been there puffing and groaning all day!

Just one final thing though MH.... where's my carroty treat?  Mmmmm I found it!  


This mule is always happy to work for carrots... anymore jobs that need doing? :-)  I heard something about a ride with Smiley Human.... sounds like the perfect way to finish the weekend!








16 comments:

  1. Great work! Wish my minis would get up to something useful instead of standing around eating the fences - argh!
    FH- is that a type of travois behind Dragon? Couldn't quite see the gear ... but how do those cords stay tight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cynthia... our minis are really good at eating fences and looking good but hmmm not great at work, we sympathise!

      The gear is a really simple swingle tree made of a length of wood with holes at either end with some chain to choke the branches in the centre. Simple ropes are then threaded through each end of the swingle and attached and then lengths are run up through the chains and back through - they can either go to the hands which we did in this case to create a pulley almost (the mule takes the weight but if you want to unhook quick you can just drop the lines and they will drag through), if you were dragging far you can clip the ends back on to the swingle and the weight of the drag as we were going uphill keeps everything tight. Bless her Dragon stood rock still while we flicked ropes and chains all over, I sometimes forget how awesome this little mule is :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, Dragon, that is a truly lovely outfit and a wonderful job you are doing in both your work and in changing the badness to good. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DD :-) I was super pleased with myself, I even overheard FH saying that she must remember never to underestimate the work ethic of a mule as I waited patiently eyeing up the next branch. As soon as my gear was on I was in the work zone and loved it, no greater way to undo the badness and have fun on a weekend!

      Delete
  3. Love your photos! Mules look so curious and affectionate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! They are lovely characters, very curious and affectionate and very intelligent too, they really keep me on my toes :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos. What a clever dragon you are too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! I love the work thing... even better when you get paid in carrots.... maybe banana peels next!

      Delete
  5. What a very helpful mule you are - perfect for a job that the humans would find difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to earn my mule keep especially when the wages are in carrot form, I think the humans would have been there all afternoon otherwise.... why watch when you can help :-)

      Delete
  6. Great job, Dragon! And kudos for re-use of something for peace that was made for war! Way to go, FH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ann! We get great satisfaction out of using this piece of history for good things, it's amazing that this and some other old mule harness that we have that are both 70+ years old are as good as the day that they were made, now that's recycling :-)

      Delete
  7. That's awesome! It would be so easy to transition Dragon into a driving mule. . .just saying :)
    Love the vintage outfit, very retro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely have this in mind when we get chance, we're struggling a little as there are some super tough hills in the area which would be very hard work for holding the cart back, when we get the right setting it would be great fun! And I think a certain mule would rather enjoy herself..... ;-)

      Delete
  8. Callie dear, it was very touching to read about you precious vintage collar, such an honour to wear it, what a beautiful message of peace. Ah, your lovely derrière shines in that picture and your long lashes!. Love to see you enjoying work in coquettish colours --always Muletta Hermosa, Trabajadora y Feliz.

    Hope the weather keeps fine for you to enjoy productive days Nice to see FH back into functioning form :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Carmen, I loved wearing my piece of history, we think of the mules over 70 years ago that wore this outfit too. I wear it with pride and honour.... and enjoyment! I had such a lovely time showing off my mulish charm and skill, once I knew what work we were doing I was in the work zone and showed everyone around how to do it best. It was especially nice to play with FH, she is still not riding me but we have been able to play in other ways, she was a happy as me and had a large grin, not only did I get lots of carroty treats but lots of praise too - muley heaven!!

      Whinnybrays to you for a lovely week ahead xxx

      Delete