Wednesday 9 October 2013

A Rose Between Two Thorns

Ever heard of an English Rose?  Apparently they are delicate and pretty and ladylike with pale skin and rosy cheeks.... FH says some days I could almost pass for one but it's not often... hmmm well! 

It's not the kinda English Rose I like anyhow!

The best kinda roses are those that's good for eating ;-)  All Summer long I have had my beady eye on the blooming marvellous rose bush on the wrong side of the fence.  It was a wedding present many moons ago when FH tempted MH with a life less ordinary (sounds like she promised and delivered!).

For many long hours I have stared at it, hoping that the fence will somehow move just enough for me to reach over and munch on the delicate morsels.

For rose bushes are divine to eat!  All those tasty greens and lovely petals are fit for a Queen.... a Mule Queen especially!




Finally the fence was removed when the flowers had gone and I was set to 'work' by FH.  "Prune Away"she said!  So off I set. My job is a very important one... every year I trim back the rose bush and it keeps it all healthy and happy, every year it comes back bigger and stronger than before.  Why do a job yourself human when a mule can do it better?  And I enjoy it!  


I started out with the easy leaves and then moved on to the thorny bits.... have no fear Muleteers those thorns are no match for Queen Rose Mule.

So I pulled a bit....


And chomped a bit....


And tamed that thorny rose - gee that tasted good :-) Roses always bring a smile to a girl's face!


Gardening is such hard work.  I nearly fell asleep with all the excitement.
Have no fear Queen Rose Mule will finish the job (with gusto) tomorrow.


Til then this rose between two thorns bids you a thornless good evening and remember.... pruning jobs undertaken, no job too big or small - I'll eat them all :-)



27 comments:

  1. Love the chomping photos! It's good to be able to help around the farm, earn your keep and all :) It is especially good when the work you have to do is tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta do some work every now and again.... even better when it's tasty!

      Delete
  2. How delightful! I absolutely love this post and photos. That blue sky and the clouds is a perfect backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda :-) The blue sky was so nice, alas it is now grey but we will look forward to its next appearance in blue!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, Dragon... How can YOU EAT THEM????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nom, nom, nom, soooo tasty.... my Dragonish will power makes those thorns wilt!

      Delete
  4. Ah, mi querida Callie, muletta hermosa como una rosa (beautiful as a rose, rhyme included), those close views on your fragant self are delightful. No doubt that you are a muleficient rose trimmer, yet I wonder how the thorns do not prick your delicate tea-sipping lips ... Oh, those marvelous petals, wouldn't they make a delicious tea?.

    I love your dreamy eyes while working and that incredible smile of yours, mi Reina Rosa :-) Beautiful pictures!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dearest friend, the thorns are a tricky puzzle to be dealt with carefully and decisively... I ease them in to my mouth and then chomp quickly. They are so delicious the prickles are worth the danger. FH says that I should be crowned Queen Rosa as I really do make the roses happy with my pruning and mules gold compost!

      Wishing you a wonderful weekend xx

      Delete
    2. Queen Rosa sounds wonderful ♥

      Delete
  5. The beautiful blue sky behind shows off the lovely highlight in your coat Dragon dear .
    Yes , peeps don't understand these rose thorns are just crunch and much to us !!
    Send our regards to the handsome Roller and Mini Man please.
    A happy nod and neigh to you for your good work trimming the roses.
    H.B. and Tink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happily delivered your regards to the boys... I thought you might send some scratchy grooming time and a snuffle or two so I delighted in giving them both a good Dragon kiss! Humans are a little too cowardly when it comes to roses... no bad thing though otherwise they might try to eat them and that would be no good, who wants the competition!

      Braywhinnies to you both and a slobbery snuffle to the Willowy one xxx

      Delete
  6. What a marvelous gardener you are Dragon. Those roses are spectacular, but pale in comparison to you.

    That last photo is just priceless:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta get your greens! Rose gardener extraordinaire.... maybe I could earn a living out of this?!

      Delete
  7. I betcha my Mom could get you a job at the Greenhouse she works at!!! This post would be your resume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome! I could earn hoof money eating - could life get any better?

      Delete
  8. What great photos! Your autumn sky is blue as blue can be! Who knew mules could eat thorns? I have a few rose bushes that could use some volunteers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo rose bushes are my specialty, I work only for food.... maybe I'll book you in the diary ;-)

      Delete
  9. How great that is! I know our mules eat all the rose bushes [think wild and invasive] and they eat all the flowers of thistles...very good eating!
    What an important job that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes we love thistles too! And gorse and holly, come to think of it there's not much we won't eat! Yum!

      Delete
  10. That last one is brilliant and who needs hedge trimmers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hedge trimmers needed here.... this is the lazy approach to gardening and I LOVE it!

      Delete
  11. Well done gorgeous Dragon
    With love and cuddles from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I had my cuddles delivered, in true Dragon style I tried to act fierce for a split second (don't want the world to know I am soft) but then happily fell asleep on FH's shoulder - oops! Sending you braywhinnies for a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  12. Ha! Great photos - you make roses look delicious Dragon! Dorica had some yummy thistles today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah Dragon my dear you are so pretty and what a wonderful munch you had. I like thistles and brambles they have that crunchy thornyness to them as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo now you're talking thistles, brambles, roses, gorse.... is there no end to the prickly goodness? I like a challenge ;-)

      Delete