Thursday 23 May 2013

Mini Mule 1 Midges 0

Mini Mule 1 Midges 0
Dearest Muleteers, it is nearly the end of May and I have an important announcement!  The midges have been around for months now and I am definitely winning the war against them :-)  In previous years I have been itching so badly by this time of year that my mane is looking shabby and I am in a constant itchy, scratchy state.


Not this year!  This year I am wearing this season's most fashionable mini mule attire!  After gracefully testing the seams of my Boett rug (oops... the seams are no match for a mini mule) and tearing it in two I was made to wear my 'spare' itch stop rug called a Pagony.  This was ok as it's lovely and soft.... unfortunately FH had got one that was a bit too big (it was a bargain she tells me), apparently it was only supposed to be for overnight wear while my Boett was being washed, double oops!  My Boett has been sent for mending and look what came in the post!



A lovely BRAND NEW (we're normally big on second hand in this house so this is momentous....) Pagony sweet itch rug in chocolate brown.  Just for me!  And it was the right size too! They make them in mini mule size - hooray!


My shield of steel!
This lovely rug is my shield of steel against those pesky midges!  FH and I are so pleased because it fits really well and is lovely and soft.  I've been told I must keep it in one piece though as being on my third rug in three months is a bit expensive, I know FH doesn't mind though, she'd rather spend her money on me that anything else..... it just means she doesn't spend money on pointless things like posh clothes, haircuts and make up for herself!  Who needs that in the countryside?

My new rug is so lovely and comfortable that I am now living in it with only occasional days in my birthday suit when the midges aren't around.  Tonight was divine!  There was a strong breeze and no midges so while Dragon went out for a ride I had my rug off and Roller and I got down to some serious grooming.  It's so nice having a mini friend to scratch with :-)


It's especially nice to have a friend that can reach the spots you can't, even back legs need a groom too!


After all that grooming and scratching it must be time for bed.  Come on FH time to put my pyjamas back on please!



16 comments:

  1. Love your new cover all Mini Mule - it looks the latest fashion accessory to me. We hate those pesky midges too, so whatever works has to be tops :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I have been hoping for a mini mule sized all in one shield of steel for ages so I'm very happy, hope I can stop myself from doing another 'Incredible Hulk' and bursting the seams of this one!

      Delete
  2. Ely, was a cob we had some years ago, he is no longer with us now. But! He suffered badly from sweet itch, so we bought him a Boett midgy rug, and then another, and then a few more! After many years and many rugs later, almost broke, and with no end in sight, the vet came to us one day and told us of a green coloured cream, it came in a large tube, and was, apparently the "bees knees" at sorting out any sores caused by the sweet itch, toot sweet! So we invested. £30 pound! For one tube!! Not long later, and even more broke, poor Ely left us. It was a sad day, and as I sat looking at the endless remains of rugs, rolled up tubes of empty Dermobion cream, I reflected on how, Ely had passed his last years with us. Itch free,(almost) and loved. (Never have I had a more expensive horse or pony) Dermobion is no longer available, as the EEC, banned its use, for no other reason than, (wait for it!) It did not fit the requirements of modern equine therapy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now if some thing works, I say, dont fix it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Dermobion I remember it well, it was the fix all and yes it worked! So frustrating when something that works gets taken away!!! Alas we are now back to endless rugs and potions that just don't seem to work. Somehow the animals with the most problems endear themselves.... here's hoping the mini keeps this rug for longer than a month!

      Delete
  3. LOVE my boett. Though it's not such a lovely matchy color with me as yours is. We've been blessed with lots of breezy-windy days so haven't worn it "yet" this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can stay out of your Boett for a bit longer, as much as I like my suit it's nicer to be naked! Although I think the ladies like my outfit and it does mean extra attention from FH as she checks it and grooms me every night.... bliss!

      Delete
  4. Midges are horrible! We have been blessed with many windy days keeping them at bay. Plus cool weather.

    I'm glad to see that beautiful rug that helps!
    My mules would just try and rip those off each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great and seems to be doing the trick, I hope the mules don't play pull the rug game as they are apt to! Hoping for some sunny but breezy weather.... might get lucky!

      Delete
  5. Love that fashion designer outfit and the mini mule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dearest Mini, I love you fashion!. Choco-on-choco is the latest trend!. I need a rug too, I can barely be outside gardening without being stung and bitten. I do not use pesticides so it is a bit harder to keep all those pesky insects at bay. I tried dabbing baby oil slightly and it truly helps to keep the flies away. So, tell me darling, shall I see you don your beautiful bonnet this year, as well?.

    The grooming session is adorable, a mutual pampering between friends. Salud! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Carmen, I can highly recommend chocolate for this season's favourite look, it is my favourite colour! The insects sure seem to like me, maybe they like us because they have good taste?! Alas my beautiful white bonnet was errrm ripped by me last year BUT I have a new bonnet which requires a little adjustment in the ear department but is very posh and will keep an army of flies at bay! I promise to give you a fashion parade soon :-)

      Sending neighbrays and head on shoulder hugs - The Mini xxxx

      Delete
  7. Darling Mini, you are a very lucky boy to have such a lovely new rug. FH is very kind. You look fantastic in your rug and in your bithday suit! I bet that it was good to feel the wind in your fur
    Love from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Judy, It is rather splendid isn't it! I was very appreciative of the wind and it's ruffling of my fur, ah it's so nice to feel the sun on my back and the wind in my mane. I am hoping for a little more breezy weather over the weekend so I can roll in the mud and make the most of the sunshine!

      Snuffles and neighbrays xxx

      Delete
  8. I have a pagony, in brown. We could be twins xx I hate midgets grr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are most unfair biting at us, I guess they have good taste in who they attack? I must say you look beautiful in your Pagony, we could be the new little and large twins!

      Delete