Sunday 17 March 2013

Stand Off At The Mule-K Corral

Spring is in the air and I am feeling fruity!  I was raring to go when FH told me it was time to work this morning.... the saddle was nowhere to be seen and the long reins came out so must be time for something different?  Hmmmm I think FH has designs on me pulling stuff (not including her off her feet?!).   So off we set at full mule ahead long reining (aka line driving)... ready to conquer the unknown... sort of!  FH was busy teaching me Gees and Haws as left and right.... for our American friends we use the opposite system in UK, 'Gee' is left and 'Haw' is right.  Of course I understood this very quickly as would be expected.  I showed FH my traffic prowess by 'whoa-ing' in the narrow gaps on our country lanes to let the cars go by, I thought I'd show her how clever I really am by stopping at the allotted passing place before I'd even been asked... I can hear those engines miles away and know what to do.
Then on to trotting, hehehe that made FH blow and go bright red but I enjoyed it, especially up the big hill.  

And then it happened...... Stand off at mule-k corral.....


There in the hedge was the most beautiful black 'stallion' I had ever seen!  It's spring and as I said I'm feeling fruity and am on the lookout for a man.... a short ears or long ears, I'm not really fussy....

When FH told me to go past I said nah, don't want to, going to plant myself right here in the road and stay talking to my new handsomeness.  What was that FH?  We're blocking the road?  Whatever, swish, swish see if I care.  Busy, busy, busy, chatting up this handsome man.

FH started to get very red in the face but smiled sweetly and said nice things to me, but FH you're not as enticing as this handsome chap, sorry not going that way with you.

FH tried all her tricks, we lunged past, she went in front, we went in circles (all the while checking that my best side was facing my new admirer) and eventually we just stood for a while.  
Honestly, my human is the most incredibly stubborn animal, she wouldn't go anywhere but the way she wanted to.... the stand off when on for ages.... we ear waved at a few of the neighbours who passed who were amused at FH (couldn't have been me that was making them laugh, could it?)

In the end I gave up on FH and decided that I'd had enough looking at the stallion anyway (by now I'd noticed his ears were substandard, his mane was not sticky up enough and his voice was not bray enough....)

OK FH off we go, look at me and how good I can be, don't you just love this long reining thing?  Past the trailers that rattle, the river that rages, the barky dogs, look we're Gee-ing and Haw-ing and Whoa-ing and Go-ing and I'm such a good girl..... have you forgotten your grumpy, stubborness now human??


Off we go on the long and winding lanes home, I've entirely forgotten what FH and I were having a stand off about? Isn't it a lovely sunny day, aren't I a good mule :-) What was that about flirty, juvenile delinquent FH?  I didn't quite hear you?  Gotta despair of those humans sometimes... they really need to  realise that us equines know best.  Til the next lesson!

15 comments:

  1. Good job on the long lining! I think you have a winner when it comes time to pull a cart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope so, you and Shy are our inspiration.... not sure we'll be as good at it as you but we'll try! Just hope that we can find an agreement on the right direction - mules always have their own opinion about these things.... :-)

      Delete
  2. I think you are a wonderful mule and will be excellent at pulling stuff. I'm guessing perhaps a little exercise vehicle?? how good would that be. Have you tried turning corners yet though, straight lines are one thing, but corners...although going on what you are like you will take to it like a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann :-) Yes hoping for a little cart and FH says I might even get employed to pull harrows and logs if I'm really good, sounds like fun! Corners are fine as long as I agree with the direction FH wants to go in.... hmmmm us mules always have an opinion about which way we want to go and at the moment it doesn't always agree with the humans. Apparently we need to sort this out before getting anywhere near a cart?!

      Delete
  3. On dear callie, our human has read this first and is laughing so much her keyboard is rattling.. She says she wishes she had been there when you were trying so hard to woo that man. It's strange really because she didn't laugh when woody was swinging her about yesterday on his new headcollar.. In fact she called him some words that we have never heard before..
    I'm afraid FH may have ruined your chances of a bit of a rendezvous with the black stallion, I shouldn't imagine you had time to give him your number ? . Well anyway he must have been so impressed by your amazing long reining skills , I'm sure he will be looking out for you next time. .. Love to all Ruby. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Callie, what a lovely chance to firmly plant yout pretty hooves on the ground!. I am not surprised at your learning abilities and personal opinion on matters, that is what a Mula Maravillosa beautifully does!. I would like to see you pull only your great beauty and personality along, bedazzling black beauties and captivating all sorts of ear lengths. Show us some pictures of your handsome neighbour :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very right Carmen, a Mula Marvillosa must stamp her opinion on all things concerning, doing it with style and grace makes the world a happier place to be! I shall endeavour to take some pictures of my beau.... although now I am rather preferring Roller ;-)

      Delete
  5. Makes me chuckle just thinking about it. I reckon once the exercise cart is on the refreshments can be stored for FH so she can wait for you to come around to her way of thinking or at least get to relax while finding a compromise. Or be patient in far more style and comfort.

    Now i am impatient for further progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe we knew you would understand! Perhaps the exercise cart could have a chilled glass of white wine ready for a picnic on a summer's day (wherever the mood to stop might take Dragon!!) When we're moving all is great and she is as ever so clever and picks up everything ultra quick but we just have to channel.... we're in no rush and we'll find a compromise as always!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic job. I am ssssoooo itching to get back at it. I want to start Eddie and Nikki [donks] under saddle this spring.
    So much riding to do and it is all horrible ice!

    As for the handsome dude? Yes, I have one molly that gets her head totally stupid when she is in season. She is in love with everything and it doesn't have to be a stallion!

    With a bit of patience we work things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the ice subsides too, you must be raring to get back in the saddle! Can't wait to hear how the donkeys get on, they'll take things in their strides I'm sure :-) Hope the sun shines for you soon.

      Delete
  7. What a talented muley you are. Riding, long reining, flirting.......... is there no end to your talents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think flirting is definitely my new pastime, I seem to be destined for greatness at this..... if only the boys saw my prowess?

      Delete
  8. Had the same experience yesterday with Siog, except that she wasn't flirting with anything more than a leaf. We were going along at a great pace, position fantastic, then "blam" she stopped and refused to budge - no backing, circling, no nothing until the princess decided she was ready! Sheesh! Gotta love them though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely gotta love em! What would we do without them ?! Dragon decided to plant firmly in the gateway this evening as the hedge has started to grow very appealing.... took ages for her to decide to come with me, all in sweet mule time.....

      Delete