Monday 21 January 2013

The Right Clothes!

Mini shetlands are perfect!
There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong clothing. That's what my heroes the Royal Marines say, I know just what they mean!  Those mules always think they're perfectly adapted, hybrid vigour...blah, blah, blah.  Well my mule friends, move over... it's my turn to shine :-)

I just love this cold, snowy weather and wish it could stay forever!  As a Shetland pony I am in my element in these sub-zero temperatures.

My ancestors come from the Shetland Isles which is a tiny group of Islands many pony miles off the North coast of Scotland.  These Islands are harsh, it is very cold, very windy and there is not much vegetation, there are virtually no trees as it's too windy for them to survive.  My ancestors are perfectly adapted to life in this harsh landscape (see mules, you're not the only ones adapted to harsh climates;-)

Those nice ancestors of mine have given me some great characteristics to survive this nasty  perfect weather!

Have you noticed how big The Mini's ears are?  Hmmm can't miss them can you.... they're not great in this weather though, they lose a lot of heat!  Donkeys have those nice, bigs ears to help dissipate heat in the desert, not much good when it's freezing!


My ears are petite and fluffy on the outside and on the inside, no freezing winds are going to make my ears cold, the smaller they are the easier they are to keep warm!  

I also have an amazing beard and fluffy forehead, this helps to keep my head warm and helps to makes sure the snow doesn't fall in my eyes.

Mini ears for a mini shetland!

I have leg warmers, my leggies stay lovely and toasty, my leg warmers go all the way past my hooves to makes sure there's not a single bit of my skin exposed.  They are also very good for warding off the mud. 



Next up is my very plush mane!  It isn't just to look good you know ladies, it also keeps me warm.  My mane is a good inch or two thick and keeps my neck toasty warm, it is a very good place for the humans to warm up their noses and hands (I even throw in eau de pony for free!)

The Mane Event - Shetland Style!
Speaking of warming up hands, FH is always taking liberties.... guess I don't mind though.  Here she is delving in to my triple layer tummy fluff to check how warm I am, warmer than her I think.... FH often calls me her Polar Bear pony, I can't imagine why?


Next up is my perfect pony tail.  My tail is low set and covers my delectable behind, there will certainly be no heat lost from sensitive areas with such good thermal underwear.... Zoe this one's for you, I know how you like a good pony rear piccie!

The perfect pony tail!
Us Shetland ponies would be nothing without our ability to eat just about anything and survive on rough food like those mules, we eek the most that we can out of any food we can lay our lips on... my teeny, tiny mouth is perfect for finding every last scrap of food and I have been known to lick the remnants of the haylage off the ground...oops!  Well you humans lick the cake mix from the bowl don't you???


My biggest advantage is my size!  Yes I know I'm small but small is best!  By staying small and close to the ground there's less of me to feed, I'm not as likely to get blown over, it's also easier to find hiding places out of the wind and rain.... some might say my ancestors were stunted by centuries of wind, cold and rough grazing, I say that we became perfectly adapted :-)

Mini Shetland = Perfect!
Finally I have my priorities right, don't waste too much energy on things unless they're worthwhile!  When inspired by food I can have a fair turn of pace for one with such small legs... 


Anyway muleteers, I'm off to do some digging for grass!  Sending you all Roller Polar snuffles to keep you warm xxx

18 comments:

  1. You are my hero. I too have similar attributes. Thousands of years of evolution have done us proud. That is the best fluffiest bottom I have seen in a very long time.
    Humans do like to take liberties with our warm fluff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Zoe, I think with the fluff and power of a Shetland and the beauty and elegance of a Dales we may actually be the perfect couple :-) Sending you Roller snuffles xxx

      Delete
  2. So fuzzy! And adorably cute. Someday, I want a mini Shetland like Roller. And a hyperbike. That would rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lei, nice to have you stop by, I'm glad you like my sweet self :-) You really need a mini in your life... as long as it's a sweet one like me... some of them are a little errrmm naughty!

      Delete
  3. My dearest Roller, now I know where the design comes from when I wear my fluffy ear-flapped winter hat. Exactly like your wonderful and natural coverings, it keeps my forehead and ears warm. From now on, I"ll call it the Roller Hat in your honour!.

    It is always marvelous to read how Nature works to make creatures well adapted to a particular habitat. You have the most extraordinary pelage ever seen. Wish I could feel your softness and that pretty warm tummy of yours. Now, for those desert-dwelling stoic long-eared beauties, I reckon ear mitts are in order!.

    Keep the fun going, my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Carmen, I am so happy to have a hat named after by ponificence! Ear mitts for the mules would be brilliant, hmmm I think we need to do some persuading of FH... if only for the photo opportunity :-)

      Hope you're staying toasty warm with your Roller Hat xxx

      Delete
  4. How perfect are you?
    I always feel Shy when it's cold, and her body is so warm. I warm my hands up under her mane, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't like to brag but I think I'm a little bit perfect... although I would have to say that Shy also is in the perfect category with her pretty mane and tail and her beautiful colour, can you send her snuffles from me? xxx

      Delete
  5. Darling Roller - you are adorable and perfectly formed! I am Scottish so we have something in common. Does that mean I can have some extra snuffles...please!
    Cuddles from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy you absolutely must have extra snuffles and eau de pony, we Scots must stick together! Sending you snuffles and warmed hands especially with this cold weather xxx

      Delete
  6. My human and I love your adorable fluffy self. As a Haflinger we gets plenty fluffy too, not as good as you, but pretty close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Camryn, we love Haffy fluff here! Our favourite breeds are shetlands, haffys, highlands, dales, exmoors and oh yeah mules :-) All practically perfect in every way :-) Sending you and your owner fluffy snuffles xx

      Delete
  7. Oooh brrrr - we are wrapped in chilling fog here on the west coast of Canada - no snow but cooooold! Poor Dorica has two shaved patches on either side of her neck due to the vet needing to find an IV site during her colic ordeal. Good places for heat to escape - oh no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very Brrr.. I sympathise with Dorica, The V.E.T. tried to shave my polar bear coat on my neck too when he had to look at my teeth, I showed him my displeasure by standing on my back hooves like a circus pony :-) Stay warm xx

      Delete
  8. Roller you are like a teeny mini version of Flurry - I tell French people he is moitié (mixed) Connemara, Irish Cob et Ours Polaire (polar bear)
    Maybe you have a Polar bear ancestor in common!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of Flurry, he sounds just like a pony I would like! I am very grateful for the french translation, I can show off to the ladies with the phrase Ours Polaire - Merci beaucoup :-)

      Delete
  9. You are a bootiful bootiful.. Mini .. I have a big snugly jacket just like yours, but my mum says I will have to take it off when the sun comes out. I really love your long neck hair especially when you got those snow highlights., and I must say you are the most adorable mini I have ever seen love from woody x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dearest young Woody, your snuggly jacket sounds wonderful, you long eared foals are really rather special, FH describes you as bumble bees as you are all fluffy with cute, teeny tiny legs! I am so glad you like my mini handsomeness, FH says if every mini were as nice as me we would have taken over the world by now.... along with the donkeys and mules of course ;-)

      Hope you are all staying warm xxx

      Delete