Sunday 6 January 2013

Hooves Fit for a Mule

Pretty Mule Hoof,  isn't it nice?!
Finally!  A pedicure fit for a mule!  It's about time, my toe nails have needed trimming for a little while and what with Christmas and things I've had to wait for Hoof Man to come and whisper sweet nothings to me while he makes my hooves pretty and nice!

I knew something was ahoof as FH had taken special care to pick out our feet yesterday morning (this is normally done in the afternoon when they're full of mud).  Lovely Hoof Man arrived, I had to check he was up to the job as usual so swished a lot, pulled my grumpiest ears and danced around a bit.  Nah, didn't put him off so that was fine, time to settle down and enjoy the treatment.  A girl likes a man who's in charge.... sometimes ;-)

So Hoof Man spent time making my hooves look lovely, he said they are just perfect, no problems here, well duh... I AM A MULE!

Lots of my friends feet are struggling with the nasty wet weather, too much rain is making frogs disintegrate, abscesses pop up everywhere, their white lines are separating and it's all a horrid mess with lame equines....  I don't like to brag my friends but.... my feet are rather delectable aren't they?

Here in the UK there are lots of people that say you shouldn't have any equine with white feet as they will be weak, you especially shouldn't have an equine with white feet barefoot.  Hmmm I laugh in the face of their advice - FH says I should be more humble, me? Nah!

My back hoof is a different shape to my fronts
What's the secret of my perfect feet?

1/.  I am a mule - hybrid vigour, no explanation needed
2/. Regular pedicures from Hoof Man who knows how to trim long ears' feet
3/. Good nutrition with all my vitamins and minerals supplied, sadly not enough goodies like starch and sugar (FH says E numbers for mules are banned)
4/. Regular hoof care - FH picks out our feet every day without fail.  All of the mud and stones are removed every night before bed or after each ride.  This lets all the gaps dry out.
5/. Hardstanding - we are all brought in to bed each night and stand on concrete or clean bedding.  When the weather is so bad, us long ears are a bit prone to problems when there is so much mud and rain as we have here in the UK
6/. The Secret Weapon - WORK, yeah ok I know this is my favourite thing but really it means that my feet stay in tip top condition!  Lots of work on varied terrain seems to keep my feet tough and growing healthily. I knew work was good!

Just to prove a point I got out and about this morning to test my petite mule hooves out in all paces - very nice it was too :-)

Nice trimmed mule hooves, lovely!
The boys had their feet done too.  The Mini takes a bit of time to settle for Hoof Man, he is still a little nervous of having his toe nails trimmed but strokes and treats seem to do the trick.  I have to say that The Mini's feet are probably even tougher than mine, they have the consistency of hardwood, dense and solid!  He has such divine little feet we think you'll agree?  Finally Roller was last.... as always Roller took the relaxed view of foot trimming and proceeded to fall asleep.  We're not sure he even noticed....  he did notice his 'well done' carrot though!  Sorry no pics of Roller's perfect Shetland feet, it was a little bit dark for the camera under his tummy with all that fluff, we promise to get some better ones soon.  Suffice to say his feet are very good and nearly as big as mine, strange hey?

Lovely Mini Mule Feet

14 comments:

  1. Nice feet! Haflingers must be part mule, they have hardy hooves too. Isn't it wonderful to have a FH that takes such good care of all of you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think they might too! FH is pretty good at looking after us... our only complaint is there's never enough carrots!

      Delete
  2. Very fine hooves indeed. Interesting about the hardstanding - I feel sorry for those who are left out in fields all the time.
    Cuddles from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy, our hooves definitely appreciate time away from mud. Us long ears have hooves that are like sponges, they soak up loads of water. They can get waterlogged here in the UK unless we have a shelter or somewhere dry to stand, if only we had anything but constant rain....
      Sending you snuffles, neighbrays and whinnies :-)

      Delete
  3. Lovely, lovely little feet. Roller deep in thoughts and dreams ... if he were that quiet when taking pictures! :-) Such a good job performed on all sides: loving human care and a very brave Mini facing and conquerig his fears.

    Well, Callie, now you have your pretty nails ready, so what is next?. Fiesta! (party).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiesta sounds perfecto, maybe a 'fiesta con baile' to show off my pretty nails? :-)

      Delete
  4. Mmmm you have very happy hooves in your camp. Maybe just maybe now I have read your story I might have a nice pedicure. And if it makes little roller go to sleep I will certainly let my naughty son have one. ( 5 minutes peace would be nice ) you all look very smart, but I think I will have mine painted a nice pink. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ruby! Pedicures are brilliant, our Hoof Man is very kind and your toes definitely look lovely, Callie has been trying to persuade FH to buy pink nail paint to no avail, maybe we could club together for a large pot?? Callie says she knows all about naughty boys.....hmmmm!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful trim jobs! Our farrier loves doing our mules. The are polite, except Opal, who was terribly abused and trusts no human but myself. Sadly we sometimes get into a bit of a stir when he has to do her.

    Wish you were here, I'm itching to find a mule friend to ride with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! Poor Opal, she sounds like our Mini friend, he is tolerant but it will never be a happy affair for him. It would be so great if we were in the same country let alone the same state, oh what I'd do to have a long ears fan to ride with.... it would be lovely!

      Delete
  6. Impressive photos! At this time of year we have ratty looking frogs and a bit of white line separation even though we stay in our nice barn all night long!

    ReplyDelete