Monday 3 December 2012

The V.E.T. Day

Oh muleteers it was that day of the year where the mule doctor came to do unmentionable things to our teeth and jabbed us with pointy things that hurt...  The day started as normal with FH tidying us up after a heavy night of partying in the stableyard. The others carried on eating without a care in the world but I could tell something was not quite right.  My FH seemed a little tense and kept checking that ticking thing on her wrist as if she was waiting for someone.... uhoh this did not look good! 
FH spoke gently to Dragon and squirted some nasty blue paste under her tongue, I was right I knew what that stuff was, it's the hallucination drugs!  This can only mean one thing..... the arrival of the V.E.T!  Oh no!  I do not like this..... Mr V.E.T is a very nice man and talks gently and patiently to us all but he does do nasty things to us.  Thankfully I'm not allowed the blue stuff again because it makes me go all wobbly and gives me tummy ache.
 
Mr V.E.T duly arrived - Dragon and Roller should have listened to me, we all could have run away toether, but no the greedy guts were too busy eating.  FH told me that the sooner I put up with Mr V.E.T. the sooner he would go home and I would be free.  I was not happy at having that nasty needle put in my neck - ouch!! And then everything went blank.... I think there were some motor noises and there was something in my mouth, I heard FH in my dreams saying that Mr V.E.T. never has to treat anyone with such a perfectly small mouth as mine.... except for Roller.
 
Roller was watching from across the yard while I had my dental visit, can you believe it he was still eating while I his best pal was being attacked!  After a while the motor stopped and my mouth felt free again.... hmmm it was time for me to go and sleep off the drugs, my legs felt a little wobbly, FH says a drunken mini mule is quite cute but very heavy when it tries to rest its head on you - charming!   Dragon was up next, she was already looking a bit glassy eyed, FH said she had already had some tequilas to numb the pain of the nasty needle. I could hear FH telling Dragon she was soooo good but that her head was really very heavy.  Dragon seemed completely comatosed and dozed off while Mr V.E.T. took away lots of sharp edges and tidied up her teeth.  Say cheese!  Dragon wasn't too impressed with the next needles though.... no amount of telling her they were for her own good was going to convince her, she had a little mule protest but then it was all done, a lot of tail swishing and some ear scratches later and she was ok.
 
Last but certainly not least was the surprise package - Roller - I had whispered to Roller that it was time to give Mr V.E.T a run for his money, Dragon and I had failed to see off Mr V.E.T so now over to twinkle toes!  Well that little shetland pony did me proud, he was not for having his beautiful winter coat clipped and then having the needle put in, Mr. Bendy and Mr. I Can Move Very Quickly When Inspired came out ;-)  Alas, even Roller succumbed to the dozey drugs.  And boy when he falls asleep does he go..... FH struggled a lot to keep Roller's head upright for Mr V.E.T to sort out his teeth, Mr V.E.T said it was like trying to work through a letter box because Roller's mouth is so very teeny tiny.
Thankfully it was all over fairly quickly, three sets of tip top teeth and jabs to stop us getting sick.  We were pleased for it all to be over but I think FH was the most relieved, we all got lots of cuddles and strokes, I knew she was worried before Mr V.E.T even arrived.  FH fed and watered Mr V.E.T before he left, I guess he's not so bad, he is always so very gentle and even when he does something that hurts he tells us sorry and calls us sweethearts, he also loves long ears, FH says that he really is the best V.E.T that we could possibly wish for, I suppose we are lucky to have him even if he does have some heavy duty hallucinogens and a sideline in torture equipment.....hmmm.
 
Roller needs to sleep off the dozey drugs...
Well we have to sleep off the after effects of those nasty dozey drugs, I can feel a hangover coming on.  FH has been busy holding our hooves, my beautiful mini self has been sleeping a lot and I can promise you there is no better thing than to lie with your head in warm arms that scratch and soothe your ears.  FH hopes that we will all be better in the morning with the only reminder being our matching patches of missing hair, I think they should be called our Muleteer badges of honour!

Dragon shows off her badge of honour

9 comments:

  1. Oh, you all look so sleepy ... Good it was over quickly and all through blurry eyes. I had to look hard for Callie's "badge", it does not affect her beauty. Your beautiful coats will grow back pretty soon!. Be well, my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmen! We are all back to our feisty selves today after a good snooze, our fluffy coats will soon get the better of those bald patches ;-)

      Delete
  2. At least if he is going to poke and jab you, the V.E.T. is nice about it! Sleepy mulies and ponies are cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison, we try our best to be cute, except for Dragon who likes to be the tough one, she was snoring like a baby last night though, anyone would have thought she'd been on the beer a little too much!

      Delete
  3. Well done scary but well done. Carrots all round needed I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely carrots... and bananas and apples and grapes and pears and.... and....

      Delete
  4. You are all very brave. Well done!
    Cuddles and strokes from Judy in Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are happy to receive our cuddles and strokes, FH says we deserve them for being so very brave! Ear waves back xxx

      Delete
  5. Cheers for you Muleteers! We do have one mule who doesn't worry when her teeth are done. She just stands there without blinking an eye! I can't believe it!
    Glad you all are well.
    What a VET visit!

    ReplyDelete