Friday 14 December 2012

Roller's Philosophical Friday: Simplicity

Dearest Muleteers, as you are all aware I am a lover of the simple things in life.  This morning the simplest things made me contented.  I had fresh clean water in my bucket, I had a nice clean bed, I had some clean straw and haylage to eat, I could watch the rain from inside my stable and I had my best pals to keep me company.  I do not want for much and believe that by appreciating the simple things in life we can slow down and remember that such simple things are actually a blessing.

Donkey work in Egyptian brick kilns
© The Donkey Sanctuary, used under CCL
For what is simple for me is luxury for many of my friends (both human and animals) around the world.  Spare a thought for those who can only dream of what we have and to whom such simple things are luxuries.  By enjoying simple things and being clear in who we are we may remind ourselves now and again of how lucky we are.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Leonardo da Vinci
 


10 comments:

  1. Good morning/afternoon, my dearest Roller. How beautifully simple and true the thought of today for a way of life.

    Having lived in the Holy Land for long, seeing the lovely Donkey in dire condition, I can say, too, how much it would mean for them to enjoy the basic comfort. It broke my heart, their poor lives so intertwined in socio-economic difficulties. So I decided to support equine rescue charities with my artwork, especially those dedicated to mules and donkeys.

    As you know, my dear friend, the Donkey Sanctuary do a fenomenal educational work in those parts of the world. I hope they broadcast live again the Xmas ceremony from the UK stables. Did you watch it last year?.

    Wish you all have a sunny afternoon and a long, long siesta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Carmen, it is truly sad the terrible conditions that our friends around the world have to endure. The Donkey Sanctuary and other great organisations that work where the humble donkey and mule would otherwise be forgotten are so very grateful and lucky to have wonderful supporters like you! They could not do what they have to without people's kind and generous support, love and care truly can changes lives. FH was lucky enough to be at this year's xmas gathering which was a little windy and wet but filled with joy and hope for good things in 2013 for our long eared friends, she sang the carol 'Little Donkey' to us when she got home - not in tune but nice all the same ;-)

      Have a good weekend and thank you on behalf of all the animals you support through your work :-)

      Delete
  2. I feel sorry to that poor donkey. I can imagine how he is heavily loaded. I'm glad to know that there are people like Carmen who care about this animals. More power to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly, thanks for stopping by and commenting, we totally agree! Without people like Carmen organisation's like The Donkey Sanctuary could not exist, we are truly grateful to people with love and hope for a better world for all animal's.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Kimberly, thank you FH.

      Delete
  3. We are really blessed and have chosen our human companions wisely. Not all equines get the chance. Good thoughts for today Rolly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are certainly lucky with our humans Zoe, although I would like more carrots so there's all a little room for improvement ;-)

      Delete
  4. Bravo for the wonderful work of donkey sanctuaries around the world. My 4 donkeys are sending in their small donations now (stomping on their piggy banks to get the money out they've saved from selling donkey hugs!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cynthia! Thanks to your donkey clan, hope they aren't smashing those piggy banks with all that stomping ;-)

      Delete