Saturday 27 April 2013

To Ride a Good Mule.....

To ride a good mule is to never look back!
...... is to discover a new friend and a new way of riding.

Many of my short eared friends seem amazed when they meet me carrying my human around the lanes and the moors.  At first I thought they were blown away by my good looks and superior ears but then I realised they didn't think us mules were up to the job of being ridden!

Mules in the UK are few and far between and most of them are too small to ride, us long ears also seem to have a bad reputation for being unpleasant to ride.... very unfair.

I like nothing more than to work and to go out and about with my human.  Some of my friends find this hard to imagine?  A mule that likes to work?  Surely not?  But honestly when we go out for a ride I will go just as fast going out as coming home (how many horses do you know do that?) and when it comes time to turn up the lane to home (where The Mini is neighbraying his best at me) I want to carry on and go around again.

I have had to teach my human some mule riding tricks though..... when you ride a mule you do not 'command' it, you do not 'tell' it, if you do this you'll find out why many folks think we're bad to ride.... they just didn't listen when we tried teaching them!

When we go out me and FH work together, we listen to each other and if I have something to say it's taken note of, this does not mean that my human is allowed to sit like a sack of potatoes or is allowed to be sticky at the yard gate!

I demand certain things from my rider:

  • Clear signals, tell me where we're going and then let's get there
  • Too Cool for School - I don't do 'schooling'..... I am amazed at my short eared friends, their ability to enjoy 20 metre circles baffles me, I would much prefer to leap some rocks and teeter on a steep ledge thanks, this teaches me to be supple and agile, just in a different way!
  • Coming Through - don't dilly dally, let's move on.  I like going out with my short ear friends and am always happy to take the lead when they let me.  I think they're happy that my superior dog defenders and attack mule credentials will keep them safe from harm.  It must look quite funny with a petite pony mule leading her big short eared friends....

  • Fun, fun, fun!  Humans take themselves way too seriously sometimes, especially some 'horsey' types.  I think there should be a new term 'muley' types, folks with a smile on their face, a sense of humour and a sunny disposition.  What better way to make yourself smile than with the tuneful neighbray of a mule in your life?

What do I offer my rider in return?
  • Beauty! Have you seen how mulificent I am?  To ride a mule is to ride a supermodel.... my superior ears and mulificent brown eyes are sure to appeal to all :-)
  • Sure footedness - us mules have inherited our donkey Dad's little feet that fit in to all sorts of tiny gaps, if there's a safe way through we'll find it.  We also don't need shoes so no slippy sliding on the road
  • Fearlessness - to ride a mule is to ride a warrior(ess).  We mules look after our cargo, mess with us and you'll know it.  I am adept at dealing with rude dogs and other such annoyances.  I will spin on the spot (slowly enough to keep FH in the saddle mind) to keep them in my gaze and if they get very bad I'll put them in their place.... gently to start with, of course!
  • Willingness - this is my human's favourite thing.  To ride an equine that wants to work, that wants to be with you and has a shared enjoyment is surely what all riders wish for?  I am with her and she with me.  I will happily tell FH when I'm not happy, this may sound like a problem but in her eyes it's the greatest gift as she knows what I'm really thinking.
    A Willing Partner
  • Smoothness - us mules are smoother to ride and FH always comments on how nice I am to sit to, she glides along... after riding a horse designed as a flashy cart horse for many years she wishes she'd found me sooner!
    • Fun - to ride a mule is to smile, to watch my mulificent floppy ears on radar scan is a fine pleasure for my rider.  I even painted the tips of them with the finest make up to make them look even finer!


    There is a saying that rings true, "to ride a good mule is to never go back to riding a horse" which is good as I'm not intending on going anywhere and we've got years of riding to do!  Speaking of which FH.... would you hurry up and get my saddle out, it's time for a ride!



    p.s. the big 'stick' in the picture functions for opening gate latches not for mule beating!!


    18 comments:

    1. I think I must have been a mule in a previous life. A good match between rider and equine is wonderful whatever they are doing.
      Having fun is supposed to be what it's about I think. Far too many humans get caught up the seriousness of competition and forget the joys of just going for a wee plod just as the sun is rising on a Sunday morning.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Dearest friend Zoe, you are most certainly an honorary long ears. We totally agree that to have fun is the most important thing of all, something that we know you and your human do very well :-) Ahhh a wee plod on a Sunday morning sounds more perfect than the grand national to us - happy riding!

        Delete
    2. Replies
      1. Aww thanks Allison - snuffles to you and Shy! xxx

        Delete
    3. Querida Callie, you are not in vain a Muletta Maravillosa --everything you carry in your beautiful self is worth of admiration. This includes the rider, too ;-)

      I love the double-beauty portrait!. Your eyes are the most lovely ones ever seen around.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Why thank you Carmen! I think often of the mules of the Andes and try to imitate those beautiful creatures :-) I like to pose for the camera, my shiny summer coat is coming through, soon my Cruz del Sur with shine more brightly than ever!

        Delete
    4. Yes?...........I did and still do have a hankering for a decent size Mule. Its finding them!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You'd love one! I know of a VERY smart 3 year old gelding for sale at the moment..... should make at least 14.3 - 15hh from a Spanish mare, let me know if you want to know more..... only problem is, mules are addictive!

        Delete
    5. The photos are beautiful of you together :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Jo! We are having so much fun together, as you can see she is extremely well loved :-)

        Delete
    6. I'll never let my Mom ride a Mule. I'd just hate to loose her if she found out how wonderful you Mules are is why.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We reckon you're an honorary mule Camryn. We reckon Haffy's and most ponies have lots of 'mule' in them, they just need to stretch out those ears ;)

        Delete
    7. Great post ... I love it ~ and yes now I want a Mule lol

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Willow! Just imagine how cute a little mini mule would be with those beautiful minis of yours??? Heaven!

        Delete
    8. You spoke very truly of all the wonders of a mule. I can say I rode a mule in 1996. I rode my horse about once a year after that...or less.
      Mules get bored doing things over and over and will rebel once they have 'got' it. They want to please their owner, unless their owner cannot and will not understand them.
      Then, they blame the mule.

      I'm staying with the smaller mules. Badger was 15 hands, Siera is 14.2, Opal 14, and Sunshine is perfect at 13.2.
      Never the less Siera has picked me and I love her ride.
      Picking which one to take out for a ride is always a dilemma!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Val! It's great to hear that I've got some of it right from a fellow mule lover. Mules are so individual but all seem to have many of the same traits, to be 'chosen' by one is very special :-) Have to say mule and donkey people most times have a great sense of humour and a happy outlook on life, another fine bonus of long ears!

        Mules always seem to ride bigger than they are, have to say I like being able to hop on and off without a worry of having to find a ledge to get back on - I'm not that flexible to leap up any more. Good things come in small packages!

        Hope you get some good mule riding in soon, keeping my fingers crossed for good weather for you.

        Delete
    9. Major says he is glad there is no 'mule beating' going on. His owner doesn't carry a stick either!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Definitely a good thing too Major :-) Mules would not put up with much beating before dishing out one themselves, they have a real sense of 'justice' and are only too happy to remonstrate with a harsh handler - rightly so, makes me like them even more :-)

        Delete