Wednesday 16 May 2012

The Pleasures of a Hedgerow Picnic!

Greetings Muleteers Roller Polar here today.  I just had to tell you about the delights of hedgrow picnics!  It's that lovely time of year when after all the disgusting mud and torrential rain of the winter that the hedgerows start to look all green and lovely.  There are also all kinds of lovely flowers and herbs just ripe for the munching.

So I decided it was time to nudge FH in to action for a little quality Roller Polar time.  Now muleteers I am mainly happy to stay at home guarding the remaining mule (normally throwing a hystrionic paddy at not being the one going out with FH....) but there are some days when I'd quite like to go for a potter myself.  Today was just that day, the sun was shining, the birds were tweeting and the hedgerows look ripe for a spot of munching.

FH duly fetched my dapper clothing and off we went.  But wait what is this indgnity?
Yes Catanian thought she would come too..... hmmmm.... oh well I guess we will let her but she better not play cat games with my tail again!

There are some definite techniques to hedgerow munching.


Mostly it is called 'smash and grab' whilst convincing FH that we really aren't walking very far, very fast, rather having a very light potter.

On todays menu was a delectable mix of goosegrass (cleavers), hogweed, brambles, sycamore, hawthorn, wild garlic (just a nibble) and some dandelions (those naughty seeds kept getting up my noses though and making me sneeze!).  That's not all though folks, the centre piece of the banquet was the one and only Cow Parsley!  Now I'm not sure about the name of this plant, it's not very nice, perhaps we could rename it the Roller Parsley?  This sounds much nicer!  Delicious in all forms and fantastic as an aperitif, main course or dessert - yum!


Eventually it was time for Catanian and I to potter on home but not before one last snack attack.

Until next time muleteers! I'm off to taste test the next hedgerow, it's a tough job but someone's got to do it :-)

4 comments:

  1. I loved your instructional video, Roller. Your picnic looks delicious. Beautiful pictures, too!.

    I've been wondering, is pretty Pie still around?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuteness overload! I loved your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks fans! I had so much fun walking with Catanian :-)

    Carmen I have to tell you that Pie has flown the muleteer nest, he filled up on bird food and flapped on home after 2 weeks, we were sad to see him go but pleased to help him on his way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear that Pie recovered in your peaceful HQ and could fly home.

      Delete